Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 03-07-2023, 02:38 PM

Default Manual needed for Gen 1 Digidesign ADAT Digital Interface

As some of the community knows me over the years I collect and still use pretty much everything Digidesign I can locate and find and use the older the better. I have 3 giant Nubus Digidesign rigs running with 3 fully loaded 12-slot Nubus expansion chassis running ProTools 3-5.01 Nubus. I've recently finally acquired 3 ADAT machines. 2 Alesis LX-20 and 1 XT (16-bit)

I've had 2 ADAT interfaces for several years but never had the ADATS. It seems like the XT will sort of work with my systems but before I put it on the main Mac rig, I'm trying to set things up with a Session 8 PC machine. The Session 8 cards are installed and working perfectly with a Session 8 Studio analog interface. Sounds just as nice as when using it on the Mac as expected. This machine also has the now rarish SampleCell II PC (ISA) card installed and it fully works too!

I have the older Blue Logo text ADAT Digital Interface installed and the system works the XT does receive ADAT 8 tracks misnumbered 1-5, 2-6, 3,7 4,8 But will NOT show up INPUT-wise to Session 8 at all. Also, it doesn't seem like Synch Lock is ever made. BOTH of my ADAT interfaces react the identical ways so I'm thinking it may be the software yet side or some combination of clocks I'm missing.

The power light comes on and the passthrough connections do work. I Have tested the INS/OUTS digital/analog on the XT unit as master and slave to the LX-20s and that all works correctly as expected.

The LX-20 will not work with the Adat interface due to its 24-bit word clock. Hence why I needed either the Blackface or XT for this older project.

I can find the manual for the Adat Bridge/24 but nothing for the early model.

Would love to get this working. If you have any experience with this interface what is supposed to happen on powerup IE does the lock come on or online before the PC comes up and the adats run? Is the interface ID2 or ID1 on the ADAT synch list. IE is the interface master or slave? I've tried both and the ADAT definitely doesn't show as slave ID2 if it comes up second. But not sure if the interface even selects as master if no midi is present.

So very hard without manuals.....

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2023, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Manual needed for Gen 1 Digidesign ADAT Digital Interface

Hope this is it:

http://akarchive.digidesign.com/supp...dat_bridge.pdf

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...ible%20devices
Old 03-07-2023, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the fast reply but sadly this is the interface that came AFTER the one I'm attempting to use. So if you or anyone for that matter happens to find the really old manual for the "Adat digital interface" that's the one I"m after.

I also have recently purchased the Adat Bride IO 24 device as well, but I'll be using that with the PCI system and my D24 setup. I haven't seen if the Bridge IO/24 supports the PTIII on Nubus yet either. So I may actually need to buy the interface that these manuals go with too....

This sure is getting complicated quick. )
Old 05-27-2023, 11:20 AM

Hi ppuskari2,

I'm having the exact same experience with a Session 8 PC. I can get digital channels out of the ADAT interface, but I can't get them in.

If anyone has a copy of the original manual, I'd me most grateful, too.

If this helps anyone in the future, the super clock out from the ADAT interface has to be plugged into the clock in on the Session 8 interface for things to work properly.

Thanks for any help!

Mike