Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 10-20-2022, 10:57 PM

Default Carbon - can the “Main Monitor” outputs be configured as just “outputs”?

I don’t own a Carbon, but am looking at the idea, so any follow-up questions can’t suggest “Try this…”.

Are the 1/4” “Main Monitor Outs” able to be configured in the I/O setup as just normal, usable outputs?

Here’s my scenario. I have a Dangerous Monitor ST that I love and use for all of my monitor switching. It gets the DB25 from the output of my current interface ( and theoretically Carbon’s DB25 Line Out). So that’s configured to take Output 1-2, and 3-4 (for Sonarwoks correction). Because if this, I’ll never use Carbon’s Main Monitor Output for Monitors. But I’d sure love to be able to route PT tracks to them to use for re-amping (I have a re-amp box) or as sends to outboard gear. Is this possible? I’ve been looking around a bit, but haven’t seen anyone talking about using the Mon Outs in this manner.

If the answer is now, then I have to get a special cable built to splice out a line or two from the DB25 going between Carbon and my Monitor controller, which I’m not really enthused about.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 10-26-2022, 01:41 PM
Avid

Default Re: Carbon - can the “Main Monitor” outputs be configured as just “outputs”?

Yes, you can set the Monitor L/R outputs to be normal outputs by unchecking the "Main (MON L/R)" speaker set in the Carbon Hardware Setup dialog. In this mode there will be no speaker sets selected as monitor outputs for the Carbon; all of the DB25 outputs as well as the Monitor L/R outputs will be unattenuated and you will be able to assign or group them however you want in I/O Setup.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2022, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Carbon - can the “Main Monitor” outputs be configured as just “outputs”?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmajors View Post
Yes, you can set the Monitor L/R outputs to be normal outputs by unchecking the "Main (MON L/R)" speaker set in the Carbon Hardware Setup dialog. In this mode there will be no speaker sets selected as monitor outputs for the Carbon; all of the DB25 outputs as well as the Monitor L/R outputs will be unattenuated and you will be able to assign or group them however you want in I/O Setup.

I hope this helps.
It does help, phenomenally. Thank you!

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 10-26-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmajors View Post

I hope this helps.
and Thank You all in the Software Engineering team! The last several years have really brought good stuff.