Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2003, 02:50 AM

Default Anyone else works a Dualboot system !?

Hi,

I installed both OSX ( 10.2.4 ) and OS 9.2.2 on two different drives in my G4.
I had to do so because NI software samplers are still not available for OSX and PT 6 has no directconnect.
In this way I'm still able to work with NIBattery and NIkontakt aside PT 5.3.1 when I have to.
The only problem seems to be my audiodrives ( SCSI)
Within OSX everything seems to work fine fine but within OS9 I repaetly encounter problems with mounting the same audiodrives during bootup. Once mounted they work fine.

Is there aynone out there having the same issue and worked around these problems ?
Or should I leave my softwaresamplers for a few months [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] until they are PT 6 and OSX compatible?
Old 05-03-2003, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Anyone else works a Dualboot system !?

Are you using ATTO? You might need to update the drivers on your drives to get them to automount on bootup.

rcm
Old 05-03-2003, 07:10 PM

hey mano

that's exactly my question too
i want to do the same thing you are trying

is it better to have OS9 and OSX in diferrent drives
or does it makes a difference having a partition on the same drive?

any help would be appreciated
thanks,
Charles
Old 05-04-2003, 06:11 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

Hello y'all...
FWIW, I've been running a QS G4, w/ OS X/9 on the same system drive (dual-boot, non-partitioned) since I bought it last spring. No problems (system/files/etc.) or crashes have happened yet (knock on wood). It's used as the PT workstation in a medium sized, two-room, commercial facility, so it does gets quite a bit of heavy use. Just so you know, it probably doesn't matter if the rest of your system is configured correctly... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2003, 02:43 PM

Yes I'm using ATTO and I'm not using ATTO drivers since OSX drivers are certified to do a proper job... However.... I did discover something of importance to all of you who want to dualboot:
Whenever you bootup 9 or X and you have both of them on separate partitions or discs you should trash OSX when you've booted OS9. I worked OS9 for one whole day without crashes or freezes since i've done this. It seems to me OSX likes to interfere in OS9 somehow in the background.
Why ? because I initialized all of my external drives with OSX disk-utility because PT6 likes to have it ,and I chose the option to have them OS9 compatible .
And the problems only seem to occur when external drives are in the game which are being used by ProTools under two different versions and Operatingsystems
If you trash the OSX (partition or disc) it will be there again at next startup so don't worry, you won't trash a system. Because I had no trouble working PT6 under OSX I did no further investigation regarding OS9 interference in OSX.
I'd like to invite everyone with similar experiences and additional suggestions to post in this topic because many among us still need to work with OS9 for some time for different reasons... Until all software is OSX compatible ( yes , Native Instruments for instance) I'm not encouraged to lose OS9 and I'm sure many among you all feel likewise [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
So lets keep this TOPic on top to solve this issue