Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-05-2010, 09:47 AM

Default Another Clocking question -- 192/SSL/Apogee

Hey digi gurus, clocking question I could use some thoughts on:

Running PT 8.04 HD3 on a 1,1 quadcore in 10.6.3, using a Deltalink, AD16x and a 192. I'm running into a clocking issue of some kind (intermittent clicks) which I'm having trouble sourcing -- (which is not my question) -- and I just want to make sure I have a correct clocking setup.

The delta link is attached to the core and 1st accel, and the 192 to the second accel as primary with the AD16x attached via expansion port. All units receive word clock individually from a Big Ben (with the 192 using WC in).

Is this a stable clock setup?

I think I have read various threads here that say you can set the clock sources for individual interfaces in PT, but I am only able to set one clock source -- i.e. changing the clock source for any interface results in the same change for all the other interfaces in Hardware Setup.

The problem (i think) I'm running into is that the deltalink requires it be set to Internal -- which then sets all my interfaces to be set to (in the case of my setup as described above) interface 1 internal-- or at least this is what Hardware setup says. Yet, the 192 lights on the front say it's clocked externally. ?

Anyway, just looking for some clarification on a) if what I outlined above is a correct config, b) can you set different clock sources for different interfaces in Hardware setup? and if so c) what would be keeping me from being able to set individual clock sources in Hardware setup?

THANKS!!!!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Another Clocking question -- 192/SSL/Apogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwall View Post
Hey digi gurus, clocking question I could use some thoughts on:

Running PT 8.04 HD3 on a 1,1 quadcore in 10.6.3, using a Deltalink, AD16x and a 192. I'm running into a clocking issue of some kind (intermittent clicks) which I'm having trouble sourcing -- (which is not my question) -- and I just want to make sure I have a correct clocking setup.

The delta link is attached to the core and 1st accel, and the 192 to the second accel as primary with the AD16x attached via expansion port. All units receive word clock individually from a Big Ben (with the 192 using WC in).

I think I have read various threads here that say you can set the clock sources for individual interfaces in PT, but I am only able to set one clock source -- i.e. changing the clock source for any interface results in the same change for all the other interfaces in Hardware Setup.

The problem (i think) I'm running into is that the deltalink requires it be set to Internal -- which then sets all my interfaces to be set to (in the case of my setup as described above) interface 1 internal-- or at least this is what Hardware setup says. Yet, the 192 lights on the front say it's clocked externally. ?

Anyway, just looking for some clarification on a) if what I outlined above is a correct config, b) can you set different clock sources for different interfaces in Hardware setup? and if so c) what would be keeping me from being able to set individual clock sources in Hardware setup?

THANKS!!!!
Hi,

I think you might want to try having the 192 connected to the core card as the primary interface, also i think you can have secondary interfaces set to different clock sources as long as they are the same frequency!! and as long as the main interface (the 192) is set to internal

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwall View Post
Yes.

But the problem you are finding is that any non-Digi hardware that attaches directly to the Core/Accel cards has been reverse engineered and as such does not support the full use of the Pro Tools hardware setup. For example, you cannot select the clock source for the AD16x from the hardware setup.

I would do like crizdee suggests and make the real 192 the primary interface. Set it in the hardware setup to word clock sync. Then have the AD16x set to word sync via the front panel. I haven't used a Delta Link but from what I read by looking it up, it needs word clock by default.

Since your system consists of non-Digi hardware that doesn't support loop sync, it will not support sample-rate recall. When running a system like this, I got into the habit of appending the sample-rate to the session name so I would know when opening the session what rate I needed to change the Big Ben to. i.e "Song Name 44" for a session at 44.1.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 07-05-2010, 02:45 PM

watch out for the ssl/soundscape hardware

there is some system for making settings on the units from the pro tools software.

it involves something like making the 192 input/output trim settings in funny patterns.

it's very important to read the manual on this bit i think.

this may be how you set things like clock source.