Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2008, 12:04 PM

Default Is my 002 dead??

Hi

I set up for a session on xmas eve and have hit a big big problem.
I got in the studio set some levels and everything was sounding great through the desk so I powered up my mac and 002........ Then the problem started

I clicked on PT it started opening and then hit me with a message saying that my digidesign hardware wasnt turned on or connected....

So I started to check everything systematically and try and solve the problem

1) I checked everything was on and plugged in
2) Checked the green light on the back of the 002 was on to see it was connecting to my mac ok (the light was on as always)
2) Tried a different firewire cable
3) Tried the 002 in a different firewire port on the front of my mac instead of the back

after all this the problem still persisted so I booted my mac into another partition with a clean version PT on it which has no 3rd party plugs are anything installed and I got exactly the same problem.... the same message saying my digidesign hardware wasnt turned on or connected.

Has anyone ever hear of this problem before, or kno how I can solve it?
I haven't had time until now to try and sort it out and I have a session booked on monday so getting a little anxious.

Im going to try a complete osx and PT reinstall and see if that makes any difference.

I should point out my 002 powers up fine and all the normal lights that light up before it connects to PT are on, but despite this I really don't think this is a software issue

any ideas or help would be great

thanks
ow
Old 12-27-2008, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Is my 002 dead??

x
Old 12-27-2008, 12:47 PM

Check under Apple /system preferecences/sound/ that the 002 is NOT selected as the apple sound out choice!
Old 12-27-2008, 01:38 PM

Hi

Its not the cable as I have tried a few different ones and tried em in my MOTU interface as well and they work fine with that

but I have just checked and its not show as a firewire device

this is all it shows

FireWire Bus:

Warning: Unable to list FireWire devices.
Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec

and I havent got 002 selected as my output as its even there as an option usually it is?

thanks
ow
Old 12-27-2008, 02:28 PM

I think I have found my problem
I have just tested the firewire port on the front and back of my G5 again
and I think the one at the back has blown

When I plug my iPod into the firewire port on the back it just charges it doesn't connect to the mac, but when I plug it in the front firewire port it connects fine and obviously charges too.

So I have gone back to my 002 to try and run that off the front firewire port and it connects when I hit connect using the digi core audio manager, but the firewire 1394 light on the front just flashes and there is no sound out of iTunes? (this is on a partition running OSX 10.5 that I just use for internet and stuff)

but when I reboot into my main PT partition and try to boot up PT with the 002 plugged into the front firewire port it comes up with a message saying that my digi hardware isnt connected.
So I opened the digi core audio manager and tried to connect the 002 that way but it just crashes my computer and my mac freezes (on this partition Im running OSX 10.4)

so Im still no the wiser
has anyone else got any ideas as to what could be wrong???

thanks
ow