Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-19-2004, 09:57 AM

Default Plug-in to decode tascam DBX?

I just got some of my old 1/2" 8-trk masters, recorded late 70s, transferred to PT. Most of them were non-encoded, but a few of these tracks are encoded with the standard DBX that came with the Tascam 80-8. Has anyone heard of a plug-in that will decode this?
Old 09-19-2004, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Plug-in to decode tascam DBX?

Oh...Hi Paul,
I'm trying to clear off the spiderwebs that covers the 80-8 part of my brain...
I don't even remember if it was Type I, II or III codec. And I did use that baby..
One thing for sure is though...the way DBX operates, it must be in the closed environment of the tape electronics calibration world. If you just simply xfer through an AD converter that "delicate" point of reference will be gone, and the DBX will have no way to know where the original, intended calibration level was set.
Does that make sense ??
So...I'm afraid you'll just have to search for the original. There must be a place to rent from.
I have never seen or heard of a DBX decoder plugin. For the reason I was trying to explain above...me thinks.

sorry mate,
good luck,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 09-19-2004, 10:50 AM

OK, The bug is now planted in my little brain...
I can see a plug in decoder working if...it can somehow reference it's processing to reference tones.
That is if the original 8 track tape had nominal ,1K, 10K and 100hz printed.
After the AD conversion, once the audio enters the plug in, it could somehow compensate for all the level and frequency response alteration.
Hmmm....maybe there is a way...
I recall using the Dolby A type systems, where the Dolby tone was our point of reference.

Just mumbling and thinking here, don't mind me....

cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 09-19-2004, 03:30 PM

Hey Cruise. I think you might have good luck with Waves Restoration plug ins or just EQ out the hiss with notch EQ{s}. If you still have your 80-8 then demkagnetize the headsa and clean them real well first. If you want me to test one out for you on a TASCAM 38 let me know.

Mike

July

MP3's
Old 09-19-2004, 04:28 PM

fredsparky ,

There is more to decode the DBX processed audio. It uses a "compander" algo.
Without it, it will be severely compressed and possibly pumping terribly...

cheers,

2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 09-19-2004, 04:46 PM

Yeah...

It is a preety complex algo, and like Lemix said, most likely proprietary. Funny, though. Once again I doubt if I am the only one is this boat. There must quite a few encoded tracks out there because DBX was used so universally with the Tascam products.

I saw some reference to a Soundforge noise reduction plug-in, but it is probably different.

Let's see, Tascam bought E-mu, right?...

My years of being out of touch with the audio biz are catching up with me again.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:54 PM

Paul,

Quote:
My years of being out of touch with the audio biz are catching up with me again.
So bloody dead on....
Look up pro audio rental co.'s. I don't have my 80-8 for ...OMG, don't remember.
How about the museum ??

take care,

2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 09-21-2004, 06:21 PM

Here is some info as promised via links, respectively, on the TASCAM 80-8, addition of an outboard 8-channel DBX in 1976; some 80-8's on e-bay for cheap; and several real cheap DBX units that would work for your purposes. You might consider a 2-channel DBX unit to use for a stereo mix. Even without DBX, I dont think you will experience pumping. I think you would get a pretty constant signal that you could play with. So you have a couple of options:
1.) buy an 8-channel DBX
2.) buy a 2-channel DBX ( 10 or 20 bucks- wow! this stuff used to cost about 400.00 per channel in the 70's!)
3.) take me up on my free offer to remix your tape on a TASCAM 38 and play with EQ and Waves restoration, and maybe some cool impulses and see what you get.

I've bounced many tapes with and without noise reduction and it will sound better than you think- certainly better than a tape rotting in a box. Another problem you will have is tape shedding-common with tape deterioration (chemistry of the manufacturing process and tape longevity). Ask Roy Howell and Bazzle about tape restoration and baking.

Bottom line: I'll be glad to assist and you won't know how it is going to sound until you roll the tape- and I have the tools if you need any help.

Feel free to e-mail me and maybe I can be of help in preserving your songs. It's real cool to look back to your old stuff!

Best regards,

Mike

.......and 1976.. TASCAM introduced the rack mountable DX-8 (8 channels of dbx noise reduction). The DX-8 significantly improved the fidelity of audio recordings. When combined with TASCAM's 80-8 multitrack recorder, the marked improvement of the audio mirrored those recordings made on multitrack recorders costing four times as much as the 80-8.The DX-8 (dbx noise reduction module) would help TASCAM ultimately level the playing field with regards to its acceptance of a professionally recorded product on an affordable multitrack recorder.TOP

http://www.tascam.com/Company.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

http://search.ebay.com/dbx-noise-red...ertyZ2QQsotrZ2

July

MP3's
Old 02-04-2023, 02:33 PM

It's been 19 years since I asked this - any updates? I never made it clear in this forum that all I had were Protools tracks that were transferred from an 80-8 without DBX.

Now, I suppose I could have copied those tracks through the hardware DBX decoder back to fresh Protools tracks. I didn't think of that at the time.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:02 AM

One thing worth an experiment: Transfer a song into PT and insert an Expander plugin starting at 1:2 ratio. I understand its not as simple as that, but if that took care of the "heavy lifting", modest EQ might bring things to a decent place, and if it doesn't work, you only spent 20 minutes(after all, companding is compression and expansion)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave