Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2004, 08:37 AM

Default 002 SYNC PROBLEMS -Please help....

I have recorded 24 tracks on Fostex D2424LV in a studio

I now need to transfer the tracks over to my ProTools LE (Digi 002) rig for editing

I can only transfer 8 tracks at a time using an optical cable

So I need the Fostex to be the Master and PT the slave

I need the Fostex to send both the timecode and be the controller

in other words - i need to transfer the 24 tacks to PT in 3 hits (8 tracks at a time)

BUT I need them all to lock up in the PT session

Please can someone help me with this....

I have got this far....

I hit ONLINE and RECORD on the transport and hit play oin the Fostex - Fostex starts to play and PT starts to record

HOWEVER... this works well on 1 track - but crashes when i try it with 8 tracks

ALSO.... the timecode displayed on PT appears to be about 3 seconds behind the display on the fostex - how do i fix that

Any help would be gratefully received as i am stuck

Many thanks

Nick

Mac Powerbook G4 17"
Digi 002
OWC External Firewire Drive (180gb)
Old 07-14-2004, 09:17 AM

Default Re: 002 SYNC PROBLEMS -Please help....

To have Pro Tools chase an external SMPTE stream you'll need to use a synchronizer like the MOTU Digital Time Piece (DTP). The best method is to use video referenced LTC and to resolve both Pro Tools (via the DTP) and the analog deck (via a Timeline Lynx or other professional synchronizer) to a house black burst video reference.

Aah.. now that I've reread your post.. you're using a digital recorder which makes it simpler...

Simply clock Pro Tools off the Digital Recorder's clock via the ADAT input and feed the SMPTE from the Digital Recorder to a SMPTE to MTC converter and have Pro Tools LE chase MTC. Place a slate click at the top of the song across all tracks on the Digital Recorder and after transferring use the slate click to line them up for sample accuracy.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••