Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-24-2021, 08:18 PM

Default Using Midas M32 with Dante and Pro Tools

I have 32 audio sources coming to me via Dante. I have a M32 with a Dante card and Dante virtual sound card on my computer. I want to have all of the sources come to the M32 thru Dante and record them in Pro Tools on my computer but still be able to control and monitor ProTools using the M32. What is the best way to do this? I do have a X32 that I could use in this setup as well. I was thinking about putting the Dante card in the X32. Have all of the sources routed to the X32 via Dante controller. Then use the M32 with the USB card to connect to the Pro Tools computer. I could connect the X32 and M32 with a CAT cable between their AES50 ports and route the audio from the X32 to the M32 and then connect to the Pro Tools computer using the USB card in the M32. But I don't know if there is an easier way. My limitation as I see it, is only having one card slot for the M32. So it's either the Dante card for getting the sources or the USB card to interface with the Pro Tools computer.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Using Midas M32 with Dante and Pro Tools

Shooting from the hip as I do not use the same setup, but I am guessing that PT is using the Dante Virtual Sound card as its "audio engine"? With that in mind, you may be limited on what can happen regarding the rest of your wants. For monitoring thru the M32, you would need to assign a pair of Dante signals FROM Pro Tools to a set of inputs of the M32(I would probably try to use an AUX return channel with Dante input, and output to the M32 analog outputs with 15&16 being the usual main outs). Re control, the master fader bank can act as a HUI controller and that would work thru the USB connection and gets setup under the Peripherals menu in PT. Let us know if you make any headway

Most folks that use the M32 will just use it as a USB interface, which would not change the HUI part of this, but might make the routing and monitoring easier

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave