Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2000, 10:47 AM

Default what sampler!!!

the guy at guitar center says to buy the emagic, i don't want to tax my cpu so i've run across the creamware power sampler. looks very cool. i'm ready to buy because the sampler i'm using is running out of voices! Looks like the creamware would be setup like any other midi device and the outputs would go into the 001 as opposed to emagics no pci card approach.

If any of you guys have other suggestions, bring 'em on. I've read the threads but am not excited about a hardware sampler since creamware's lists for 600. Any and all advice considered.

jimmy
Old 06-09-2000, 01:48 PM

Default Re: what sampler!!!

I'm not sure if its shipping but I'll find out this weekend. The way I see it, it will be treated like a hardware sampler by pro tools, just another midi device in OMS but with optical connection which I believe is an option. I hope it works like I think it will!!
Old 06-10-2000, 12:05 AM

I'm looking at the Creamware Power Sampler as well. The only shortcomings I see is it currently doesn't support Direct Connect (but neither do external hardware samplers) and it doesn't support Recycle SCSI transfers (REX files). This could change on later updates.

I heard it at the Winter NAMM in LA and was very impressed. It sounded very clean. Unlike other "sampler-on-a-card" devices, it doesn't have it's own RAM...it uses the RAM from your computer. The size of the samples you can load are only limited by the available RAM in you computer.

And you're right, it doesn't tax your CPU like software samplers.

Are they shipping yet?
Old 06-13-2000, 05:57 PM

Ok, I emailed creamware, no response yet, Sam Ash tried to sell me a samplecell II or a new $2500 Roland unit, which looks wicked by the way. So for now I'm just flying my samples into pro tools for editing then back to the sp808-all 16 bit. I want 24 bit and on screen editing. The creamware looks like the ****, but I can't find it yet!! ANYBODY????