Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Moving from Mix to 002 Questions..

Outside of horsepower, can anyone tell me what the main limitations would be if you are used to a Mix system on 002?

I'm talking about things like bussing, sends, little things one takes for granted. Any warnings appreciated...

Thanks
TH
Old 04-21-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Moving from Mix to 002 Questions..

It actually should be the same. Besides slight visual differences the interface should be very familiar to you.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:46 AM

Biggest change will be that LE offers 5 insert ponts, 5 send points and 16 busses.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-23-2005, 11:49 PM

Funny you asked, I’m in the 1st couple of weeks of this journey, after selling a HD3 with one Accel card.
If you are on a Dual G5 the horsepower may surprise you!
If you are on a G5 and want to run a FW800 drive, buy an
Adaptec 8300 FW/PCI card, there are others, I just know that this one works.
The 002 Rack hogs the FW buss and this card really made it all work for me.

Certain plugs...like Amp Farm and DDP-1 won't work and of course the Accel only plugs.
I have not noticed a difference, I think the inserts and sends are the same as
HD, the 16 busses are a harsh reality. No 5.1 Channels!

BTW: Silly stuff is missing, like, you can copy a region forward but not backward.
Can't copy faders to auxes in one fell swoop. No input, only record function on an audio track.
There’s a 32 track limit, unless you want "Live" to run the extra consolidated tracks through rewire,
I’ve found that Live has some pretty stellar compressors in the program.

I had a mix up today with (2) Altiverbs and 50+ miscellaneous plugs....without any process card chip shuffling.
I was at 80-90% of the Dual 2.0’s limit, it sounds every bit as good as TDM rig. Some would argue...better.

The host thing is really smooth in it’s operation, the ability to deactivate plugs on the fly is great.
Lots of the plugs inserted on the fly won’t break your audio playback. If you do lots of tracking, set up a
Quickey for Low Latency Monitoring....you’ll appreciate it, just the reality of not having cards.

My 002 has been very solid/stable. I'm hoping it makes dollars and sense for Digi to release a LE Platinum version.
It could be a full TDM ilok version, that we could pay extra for. The same software could run with TDM cards or host based.
This would also help with not changing software or keeping two (LE/TDM) hard drive images on hand for different rigs.
Sometimes I do feel like I’m in the LE Penalty Box as far as the software features go.
I have no problem with this software only working with Digi hardware, I just wish there was a more full featured version available.

All in all, it’s a great value and I enjoy working in PT, so it works for me. Once again, I’d be happy to pay extra
for all the TDM software features with some more or unlimited track count.

My guess is that you enjoy going host as long as it’s not on a Mac 2ci: ......;-)

Brad