Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2014, 05:50 PM

Default Do the line inputs on the Fast Track Duo bypass the pre's?

Was wondering if the line inputs on the Fast Track Duo bypass the mic pres and/or line-level amp if you have them set to zero gain? I know that the Profire 2626 does this, but was looking for a 2-4 input device that does it also. If anyone has schematics for the Fast Track Duo that would be of great help and basically answer my question as well.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Do the line inputs on the Fast Track Duo bypass the pre's?

I don't see it mentioned either way in the manual. I'll look into it and post back.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 01-16-2014, 09:17 AM

If the gain knob can change the level of the incoming line level signal, then no, it doesn't bypass the pres.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-16-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
If the gain knob can change the level of the incoming line level signal, then no, it doesn't bypass the pres.
That actually not necessarily true... The line inputs could very well go through a line-level amp and they use the same gain knob to save space. And I believe the profire 2626 is set out similarly, yet at zero gain it bypasses both the pre and line level amps.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionv View Post
That actually not necessarily true... The line inputs could very well go through a line-level amp and they use the same gain knob to save space. And I believe the profire 2626 is set out similarly, yet at zero gain it bypasses both the pre and line level amps.
No disrespect intended, but I seriously doubt any budget IO box will have separate paths. AFAICT, the m-audio stuff is mostly designed as a budget alternative, and given what I read about them(and having owned Fastrack Pro and Profire2626), I never recommend the line to anyone My next budget interface will likely be one of the Focusrite boxes

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-16-2014, 08:37 PM

Default Do the line inputs on the Fast Track Duo bypass the pre's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionv View Post

I repeat myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
The line level signal will be dropped through a resistor network and tied to the same signal path right after the blocking caps. One signal path and gain stage regardless of using "mic" or "line" input. One gain knob is never shared between two separate signal paths unless it's ganged for pairing. A true line level input would go through a unity buffer and there would be no gain pot in the path.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 01-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Focusrite

On the Scarletts and Saffires the Line Input bypasses MOST of the Pre. It does not have to be a completely separate signal path to bypass.

http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/d...s-the-mic-pres

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/
Old 01-17-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_Focusrite View Post
On the Scarletts and Saffires the Line Input bypasses MOST of the Pre. It does not have to be a completely separate signal path to bypass.

I sincerely appreciate you're response. That being said, the following quote from your link disturbs me:

"Due to the transparent nature of our preamps, however, this does not colour the signal."

Making a statement like that as if it is a fact, not an opinion, is quite a bit misleading. How much it would colour/degrade the signal is totally up for debate, but you can't honestly say that if I plugged my Avalon V5 through a Scarlett 2i2 as opposed to through let's say a Profire 2626 which completely bypasses the preamp circuitry that there wouldn't be a difference in signal quality.

The whole point of my original question was that I have decent gear for the analog side of things, and was just looking for a simple, inexpensive interface with a "clean" signal path. All I really need is 2 inputs, but don't have the money to spend on something like an Metric Halo ULN-2 or the likes.

That's not to say that your guys' interfaces aren't good in "most" situations, especially if people plan on using the built in preamps (I've heard they are quite good as far as built-in pres go), but for my situation they would not be ideal, as it's obvious neither would the Fast Track Duo.

In case anyone is in a similar situation as me and is interested, I've narrowed my search down to the following interfaces:

ESI Juli@ XTE, Echo Audio Echo2, TC Electronics Impact Twin, and M-Track Quad
Old 01-17-2014, 07:28 PM

The profire 2626 does bypass the pre. I dont believe the fast track does. On the profire the gain knob does not work with the line inputs.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_Focusrite View Post

Katherine,

With all due respect, if you're going to make that statement here, please back it up by posting the schematic for those interfaces so that we may see it for ourselves.