Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2012, 07:36 PM

Default Generating room tone

I am doing some dialog editing on a project and I don't have very good room tone for a scene. I've tried piecing together some bits copied from between lines, but there are extraneous noises which sound even worse if I loop it. Is there any plug-in or tool that can create longer sections from a short noise sample - basically noise reduction in reverse? I know Soundtrack Pro actually has this.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Generating room tone

I think RX has that

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-11-2012, 01:00 AM

When you say the room tone isn't very good, what is the problem with it?

CraigF - If you mean the spectral repair in iZotpoe RX, I find it's not very good at interpolating long sections. ie longer than a frame or so. What it creates for those, in my experience isn't worth considering.

I believe there was something from SynchroArts a long time ago that was supposed to sample a small bit of atmos and interpolate a long pit, but can't remember what it was called and I have no idea if it was any good.

If you can get your hands on the all the location sound, a good source for room tone is between the director cuing the camera and sound guys, and before (or just after) he calls "action". There is usually a moment or two of silence on set. You may have to ask the editor for this as it probably won't be in your AAF, unless you have exceptionally long handles.

The best method for making your own room tone, as I think you are doing, I've found is to get every wav for the room that you can, put them end to end on the time line and use the "Remove silence" tool, but set it to "extract". You can then get all the quietest bits from the location, and but them up together. Put cross fades on the joins to get it sounding as quiet as possible and then start taking out the extraneous sounds. If you've got a limited amount of atmos you can use, it's also helpful to reverse some of the regions, so they play backwards (obviously watching out for small sounds that don't work backwards). Then Duplicate it as a single file. Sometimes you'll need to go through the same process on that new file you've jsut created, so it can be a bit laborious, but it does work.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:10 AM

Michael Maroussas posted a vid below in editing dialogue and used one of the GRM Tools to generate extra room tone. Might be worth trying out a demo of those if you can and see what success you get.

http://designingsound.tv/x-men-first...niques-part-2/
Old 05-11-2012, 05:21 AM

didn't one of the audioease pieces of granular synthesis software do this?

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 05-11-2012, 07:31 AM

Riverun maybe.
I have it, but haven't explored making atmos with it. Might be worth a try though.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:14 AM

GRM Freeze. Keep the pitch at zero, and make multiple pass record, then select the best parts of the recorded tone.

And as mentioned above, the reverse technique can also buy you some more room tone.