Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2011, 04:17 AM

Default What location recording microphones to buy?

Hi all,

I am about to embark on a big feature film project and I have a hefty budget to spend on location microphones.

I'm not too worried about cost, just as long as it can pick up on set dialogue very well, as I want to avoid as much ADR as possible. The film will be mainly shot outdoors.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:59 AM

Default Re: What location recording microphones to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abes View Post
Hi all,

I am about to embark on a big feature film project and I have a hefty budget to spend on location microphones.

I'm not too worried about cost, just as long as it can pick up on set dialogue very well, as I want to avoid as much ADR as possible. The film will be mainly shot outdoors.

Forgot to mention, the microphone will be going into a Sound Devices 744T
Old 10-19-2011, 05:14 AM

Well if you have a hefty budget and wish to minimise any ADR the best thing you could probably do is hire an experienced sound mixer and/or boom op

Will you be doing this yourself? Just how 'hefty' is your budget?
a Sennheiser 416 as a shotgun is quite 'the standard', esp for outdoors. Dont forget all the extras like windjammers, shock mounts, boom poles etc you'll need.

But of course there are lots of mic choices available particularly with a decent budget :) Im sure those more experienced can chip in with more suggestions.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:38 AM

How about posting on the IBS (Institute of Broadcast Sound) forum - plenty of top drawer recordists there like John Rhodda, Simon Bishop etc

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 10-19-2011, 06:19 AM

Sanken CS3e, is a great mic for outdoors. Very directional and rejects quite a bit of off axis signal without being super long. But as the others suggested go with an experienced boom op first then a great mic.

JR
Old 10-19-2011, 06:24 AM

Looking at around £2000 for a mic. I'll check out the other forums mentioned here.

Thanks guys
Old 10-19-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abes View Post
Hi all,

Mainly outdoors? Get some lavs as well. Sanken COS-11, DPA or VT are a good choice. I second the advice of getting an experienced boom op.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:39 AM

Hire a professional production sound mixer. If you don't do production sound all the time you won't know all the tricks.

As for microphones I prefer the Schoeps CMIT 5U a majority of the time along with the CMC641 combo for hard walled interiors and live spaces. I also like the MKH 50 a lot. In a loud exterior it helps to have a combo of 416, 70's, and 816s. The point is there isn't a one mic fits all solution.

Best of luck on the project.

Steve
Old 10-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Don't get an illusion that a good mic will solve your problems.
What you need is the right decision in specific situation.
Sometimes it could be a shot gun (like Sanken CS-3e) sometimes a schoeps MK41 will bring beter results and sometimes COS-11 or DPA 4060 will do the job.
Where to place them? When to work with radio mic. Should you cover it with the boom? Cloth rustle, wind, distance, slim dressed actors, kids, rain / / water, cars, loud sources next to your character.
How all this you gonna handle with even the best mic but no experience?
I am more than 14 years involved in professional sound recording for film and TV and in each next film I often deal with something outstanding requiring some imagination to deal with. And I have all the mics you can think about...
GET A PRO MAN - NOT GEAR.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24