Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2003, 03:30 PM

Default Drum Loops VS. Click Tracks

Been playing and writing rock & roll/Funk for many years with a drummer friend who has just recently moved away. My main instrument is Guitar and keys. I got Acid Pro and some loops and really learned it fast and can get my percussion parts into protools without a hitch. The problem I'm experiencing is that I find myself writing the drum parts of a song first, commiting myself to that progression "feel" and when I write the rhythm or melody on my guitar/keys I get cramped into that style. Has anyone experienced this? Would it be better to write/record against a click track and do the drums later? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Drum Loops VS. Click Tracks

I would say whatever works for you. If you have an arrangement and a game plan before laying down the guitars/keys, go ahead with percush. But, if you have a guitar part that won't wait, set up a click track first. I do it various ways myself. Good luck. -Roy
Old 02-27-2003, 07:50 PM

The biggest decision for me is deciding on the BPM.

Sometimes a small difference in tempo makes a big difference in the song.

Anyhow, the loop I start out with is generally never the one I finish with. As I do rough takes the song will come together and the right drum loop will become evident.

But once you have decided on the final composition of the song it is fairly easy to go back and run another loop.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:36 AM

By al means, use this opportunity to develop that independance of composing to a click, when you decide to wrap the drums you can be more spontaneous and dynamic with what you really felt as you laid it. Just think, you may have used your friend as a guide that ws really containing your creativity. Go for it dude [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] !
Old 02-28-2003, 12:58 AM

You could buy some midi pads like the roland spd series and make your own drums.
Using midi means you can work around little details like drums not being your forte. You could even use whatever loops you have, as a guide, except also have the freedom to change stuff with your playing. And, you could chop up different loops in acid into shorter phrases and layer those with what you play for the little flourishes you may not be able to pull off.
Also, "sound replacer" can be a helpful tool.
I know this one guy who taps rhythms on microphones with his fingers(cheap crappy ones) then uses sound replacer...hmmm...