Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2018, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Kontakt 5 multiple outs crashing protools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam8mail View Post
Actually yes those option are in the interface for kontakt 5, I thought you were talking about the DAW. I have changed them but no difference. The problem is imo not cpu related but when i route the outputs channels of kontact to protools tracks. It basically freezes or responds extremly slowly. I can run multiple instances of Kontact no problem on seperate audio tracks.
ok, what version of Kontakt ?? depending on your K5 version, do you want to try sending me a session ?? thing is we may not have the same Libraries !!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-24-2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam8mail View Post
Right so, i'v one kontakt 5 plugin on an Instrument track that is running serveral instances all routed out to seperate audio tracks. Doing this should release a lot of cpu power as opposed to running serval instances of the plug in. But doing it this way is actually crashing my protools. I'm baffled but i know i'm not the only one having this problem via google searching.

It's a simple configuration, small session yet cpu is overloaded...

Pro Tools 12.8.2
M-Audio M-Track Plus
Windows 10 - 64 bit
i7 6700 HQ
16 GB RAM
it's probably stacking the single kontakt instance on one core and overloading. When you said crash in topic title i thought you meant actual crash.

This happens with many DAWs and in fact the fix is, TO use multiple instances so load is spread out amongst cores.

Standalone kontakt multi processor preference is just for standalone, as kontakt itself says in brackets.

i think the problem here is that too much is being asked of a single core. Humor me and try seperate instances and see if it fixes it.

You also didn't say just how many instruments you are indeed running off the one kontakt multi, which would be helpful to know..
Old 01-24-2018, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Standalone kontakt multi processor preference is just for standalone, as kontakt itself says in brackets...
And when used with Pro Tools the word Standalone changes to AAX, check the engine when using as plugin version.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:47 AM

Quote:
it's probably stacking the single kontakt instance on one core and overloading. When you said crash in topic title i thought you meant actual crash.

This happens with many DAWs and in fact the fix is, TO use multiple instances so load is spread out amongst cores.

Standalone kontakt multi processor preference is just for standalone, as kontakt itself says in brackets.

i think the problem here is that too much is being asked of a single core. Humor me and try seperate instances and see if it fixes it.

You also didn't say just how many instruments you are indeed running off the one kontakt multi, which would be helpful to know..
In addition to the above some Kontakt instruments make heavy use of scripting; combine that with the above and it's no wonder there are problems happening.

QAPLA!
Old 01-24-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
And when used with Pro Tools the word Standalone changes to AAX, check the engine when using as plugin version.
thanks for the heads up.. my apologies..

that's quite exciting that it can access cpu outside the DAW.

I'm going to do some tests now with it enabled and disabled.. what should happen when enabled, is that pro tool's own meter drops, and kontakt accesses cpu outside the DAW.. this is a good thing, having a separate process, cause no DAW can efficiently access 100% of the cpu anyway..

In pro tools i get up to about 400% usage out of a theoretical 800 before i can never go further. In logic about 550. Yet if i start some standalone kontakt even when the daw is being hammered like this, it works perfectly. :) So will be very interesting to do some multicore tests in kontakt, i think i'll tell it to use 4 threads, will see how we go, how far it can be pushed. Thanks for the cool info!

PS i still believe the OP's issue is that the one instance of kontakt, although accessing separate cores itself, is still being stacked relatively on the one core in pro tools, which is why it's overloading.
I see this in Logic all the time and when i switched to using say only 4 instruments of kontakt in one instance, and using many more multiple instances, all the load spread out evenly and play back without glitches. Not sure why Pro tools would be any different. I just don't see how pro tools can seperate different instruments of kontakt onto different cores, just because they are using different aux outputs.
They are all still coming from the one instance of the plugin. Hey, i could be wrong, totally, but it's just how i've been taught that multi core in DAWs works.. that it's basically one core per instrument instance and all that follows it, effects etc, one per audio track and it's effects, including if it's routed to multiple further busses. This is how i've always understood it and my theory is, why not try it ? To the OP, what harm can it cause?

But to answer this definitively, i am going to load kontakt myself now in PT, and load up 8 instruments on one instrument and send them each to their own aux in pro tools, and i am then going to load the same 8 instruments spread over 8 instances of kontakt, and see the results. I'll report back when i've done it.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:32 AM

as i thought, multiple kontakt instances is balancing the load much better than 1 with multiple instruments. I'm convinced.

It's also interesting to see it grab CPU outside the DAW.. for heavy kontakt users, for 8 core machines I suggest 4 cores be the setting.. Even when pro tools was maxed out, i was able to still get more polyphony out of kontakt's that were already instantiated. I haven't tried instantiating fresh instances yet but will do so tomorrow, on a really hectic project. In any case, the solution to the OP's issue is to simply spread out everything via more kontakt instances. :)

Cheers
Old 01-24-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
as i thought, multiple kontakt instances is balancing the load much better than 1 with multiple instruments. I'm convinced.

It's also interesting to see it grab CPU outside the DAW.. for heavy kontakt users, for 8 core machines I suggest 4 cores be the setting.. Even when pro tools was maxed out, i was able to still get more polyphony out of kontakt's that were already instantiated. I haven't tried instantiating fresh instances yet but will do so tomorrow, on a really hectic project. In any case, the solution to the OP's issue is to simply spread out everything via more kontakt instances. :)

Cheers
yes, been known for years that more instances of Kontakt balance better across processors .. nothing has changed yet .. still hopeful

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-24-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
yes, been known for years that more instances of Kontakt balance better across processors .. nothing has changed yet .. still hopeful
i just don't see how a DAW is going to be able to split the load on a single instrument instance sorry... I think you'll be hopeful for a long time.

One could of course *completely* remove kontakt from pro tools cpu space by using it via jbridge. Granted you would need blue cat patchwork to host it, and in a vst host like cubase using j bridge is way easier overall, but it is indeed a way to do it. You could literally use a lot of the available cpu outside of what pro tools is using. Just be prepared for noisy fans on an i7 laptop though lol.

(j bridge can host 32 to 32, 32 to 64, or 64 to 64, and put the plugin in it's very own process space, each and every bridged plugin).

It's an alternative to using VEPro whilst still keeping all the benefits of just a single pro tools project with load recall.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
i just don't see how a DAW is going to be able to split the load on a single instrument instance sorry... I think you'll be hopeful for a long time.

One could of course *completely* remove kontakt from pro tools cpu space by using it via jbridge. Granted you would need blue cat patchwork to host it, and in a vst host like cubase using j bridge is way easier overall, but it is indeed a way to do it. You could literally use a lot of the available cpu outside of what pro tools is using. Just be prepared for noisy fans on an i7 laptop though lol.

(j bridge can host 32 to 32, 32 to 64, or 64 to 64, and put the plugin in it's very own process space, each and every bridged plugin).

It's an alternative to using VEPro whilst still keeping all the benefits of just a single pro tools project with load recall.
well, since we know it is a known issue in PT we can move to other things .. seems to be a lot of posts about this already ..

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-24-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
well, since we know it is a known issue in PT we can move to other things .. seems to be a lot of posts about this already ..
it's not a known issue with PT.. it's every DAW i have ever used.

OP seems to have disappeared.