Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2021, 01:58 PM

Default How do I Zero Out the Pro Multiband Dynamics plugin to no effect?

I want to be able to zero out the Pro Multiband Dynamics plugin to be able to start from scratch. The Default setting still has many settings engaged and isn't a zero out setting. Even when I set all settings to what I think is Zero setting, there is still something engaged because when I take it out of bypass I still hear something being affected. I set the Threshold to Zero, I set the Depth to Zero, I set the Gain to Zero but it doesn't seem to Zero out the effect. Whhat am I missing here?
Old 06-21-2021, 05:21 PM

Default Re: How do I Zero Out the Pro Multiband Dynamics plugin to no effect?

Even with each band’s parameters set to a neutral setting, all the filters used to split the spectrum into bands, and the resulting phase shifts, are still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 06-21-2021, 06:56 PM

Set all the knobs to truly give you no affect, save that as a new preset, set the plugin to Default to User Setting and choose the new preset as the user setting.

Having said that, some plugins will affect sound just be being inserted. But if you set the threshold way high, that should stop any GR from happening(or default the ratio to 1:1 which equals no compression).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-21-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohnmusic99 View Post
I set the Threshold to Zero
For compression to not have any effect. the threshold should be set to maximum, not zero. In other words. the gain reduction will start only when the threshold is reached. Hence setting it high will prevent it from happening. When you set it to zero, you are telling it to start compression immediately when there is any signal.

As Albee said above, the ratio should be set to 1:1 as this means no compression (gain reduction) even when the threshold is reached.

Additionally, since you mentioned that this is a multi-iband dynamics plugin, you'll want to do this for each frequency band used.

As also mentioned above, some plugin impart their own flavor (audio distortion) to the original signal simply by being inserted. Sometimes it is intentional and desirable to mimic a vintage piece of hardware. Sometimes it is not intended but due to the algorithm of the plugin, it exists.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 06-21-2021, 11:11 PM

In theory, when a plugin splits frequency band into two, it will slightly affect the sound even when "zeroed" so only way to have zero effect is to bypass it. Whether you hear that effect is up to you, keyword here being "in theory".
Old 06-22-2021, 10:26 AM

I didn't even know about this plugin. Played around with it last night. So I surmised it's a multi-band compressor... Cool, don't play with those much. I liked what it did for a bass guitar track. I used the preset "125" and punched up my fretless.

I want to use it, but I don't know a whole lot about it, and I'm too stuck in the mud of Waves RComp, despite the fact I liked the way this comp sounded.

Anyway, I clicked it back to <default> and everything went back to the way it was before I selected the preset.
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 06-22-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
1-I want to use it, but I don't know a whole lot about it, and I'm too stuck in the mud of Waves RComp, despite the fact I liked the way this comp sounded.

2-Anyway, I clicked it back to <default> and everything went back to the way it was before I selected the preset.
1-as with any multi-band comp or dynamic EQ, playing around with it is the best way to learn it. These are really wonderful tools, BUT(the great big BUT), they can also dig you into a hole if you're not careful. Rcomp is a great little plugin, but mostly for its simplicity

2-this is expected behavior. If you want to revert to your saved "default", just open the Presets list and yours will be under the stock presets

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-23-2021, 03:08 PM

Hey folks, thatnks for all the helpful info . I've figured it out and it works well.
Now can someone tell me how do I delete this posting thread now that I've gotten solutions? I've looked through the help sections and can't find an answer that what eems top me a no brainer. THanks!
Old 06-23-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohnmusic99 View Post
Hey folks, thatnks for all the helpful info . I've figured it out and it works well.
Now can someone tell me how do I delete this posting thread now that I've gotten solutions? I've looked through the help sections and can't find an answer that what eems top me a no brainer. THanks!

That’s not how forums work.

Why delete a thread? If someone has a similar question/issue in the future, they can search the forum and find the solution without having to post a new thread.

If you figured something out, you should write it here so it’s documented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk