Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-06-2014, 10:53 PM

Default With new Mac Pro, do we still need BlackMagic or AJA? Only for video out.

Hi, I'm new to post production.

With new Mac Pro, do we still need Blackmagic or AJA card for video out?
Do they provide any benefit when the new Mac Pro already seems an overkill for Pro Tools?
Old 11-06-2014, 10:56 PM

Default Re: With new Mac Pro, do we still need BlackMagic or AJA? Only for video out.

the Mac Pro lacks sync refrence

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-07-2014, 01:43 AM

Default Re: With new Mac Pro, do we still need BlackMagic or AJA? Only for video out.

Sorry, I forgot to say I am planning to build a system with Mac Pro, HDX & PT11 HD.

I'm only dealing with ADR and music for the film, no video capturing involved, do I need sync reference?

From the manual (PT 11), it says video playback can be handled by GPU, Mac Pro has two powerful GPU, so the playback should be okay, right? Or is there some problem in the real world?

And it also said, Video Scrubbing only work with Pro Tools Video Window (if no video hardware presented), but Pro Tools Video Window can be set to full screen, so I still have full screen video scrubbing right?

And how you measure the lag introduced by video monitor or LED TV?
Old 11-07-2014, 06:37 AM

Well if you do professionally ADR your system must have a reference sync and be genlocked by a single Black Burst generator.
Other wise each time you'll press playback your sync will start / play different.
To be frame edge accurate you got to have a Sync HD unit and Aja IO XT (for using with a newer Mac Pro).
You'll need also to pick up an Aja GEN10 which will generate HD tri-level sync and feed your Sync HD and Aja IO XT.

You will need to get a Syncheck (discontinued) or Catching Sync app for iOS in order to measure the offset in Pro Tools to compensate the latency of your LCD screen.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2023.12 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 11-07-2014, 10:20 AM

This AJA box Aja IO XT is interesting. Looks like it can derive reference from LTC. Not a new thing but I haven't seen that on a video IO before. Maybe you could get away with not having a sync HD and just a MTC to LTC converter. That way the video is always locked to the Pro Tools frame reference and not the other way around. Just throwing that out there and I haven't tested it at all.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 11-08-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
From the manual (PT 11), it says video playback can be handled by GPU, Mac Pro has two powerful GPU, so the playback should be okay, right? Or is there some problem in the real world?
Every time Apple comes out with a new computer, we get all excited about the possibility that native (extended desktop) video might professionally play a video. Even the new Mac Pro 6,1 probably won't. The refresh rate won't be right, and the video will be much less stable compared to dedicated video hardware. On the Mac Pro 3,1 and 4,1 the difference is huge when you use a Blackmagic card compared to extended desktop. Also, you have the benefit of never accidentally moving the mouse or a plug-in window over the picture. Clients don't like that.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:53 PM

actually, with the new mac pro you just can connect 2 normal computer monitors via dvi..

you can however, connect more if you have thunderbolt monitors that connect direct via thunderbolt (not via an adapter!), or if you connect an vga monitor..
Old 11-13-2014, 01:34 AM

Please see post #2

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2023.12 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 11-13-2014, 02:10 AM

yes, of course, but apart from that its may not even possible if you want to have more than 2 monitors..
Old 11-13-2014, 03:12 AM

use a 34" 21:9 for the primary desktop, plenty of screen

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig