Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2010, 03:11 AM

Default How to send midi into a 192 I/O

Hi guys,

I received PT HD 2 last month and work perfect, I usually needed for recording audio so Midi did not bother me, I can use drum trigger
trough USB and my Axiom49 trough USB no problem.

Lately I'm working with a band Deep Purple style and I want to use the Hammond plug in as it got more realistic sound
the problem is that without connecting MIDI I cannot assign all the fader and knobs of the plug in to the Axiom.

What do I need (interface) in order to use a midi cable to connect the Axiom?

If I connect my Motu Octopre to the 192 trough ADAT can I send midi messages in that way?

I use PT 8.3 om a MAC Pro quad 6GB RAM

Thanks in advance
Old 04-25-2010, 05:43 AM

Default Re: How to send midi into a 192 I/O

In a nut shell no you cant

buy a usb midi interface, for about 40 dollars

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Uno/

hth
Old 04-25-2010, 06:19 AM

Geeeze the guy can afford an HD system and doesn't know a basic thing like the difference between audio and midi?
Old 04-25-2010, 07:06 AM

I don't consider myself a genius but probably I know the difference between Midi and audio at this point thanks for the invaluable comment.

Thanks DHG for the link
Old 04-25-2010, 07:26 AM

The Axiom 49 (USB controller, right?) won't get you there? It should. I have a 49 and a, uhhhh, 61 (?) that does it great. You shouldn't need anything else. Unless we're not talking about the same 49 key USB keyboard....
Old 04-25-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMusic View Post
Geeeze the guy can afford an HD system and doesn't know a basic thing like the difference between audio and midi?
You must be "young". There are fulltime PT operators/mixers out there who came from the analog world. Back then midi was the keyboard players responsibility.. and a bunch of stereo analog cables was all the engineer ever saw.
Point is that some of the "old guys" have bought many PT systems while putting their kids through college without know anything about midi. It's no biggi until you get into a situation where it is a factor. For most of us that happens every day, but for some it is rare.
To the OP, you should be good with the Axiom as Sean said. All of my midi goes through a midi interface (MOTU mtp/av) by conventional means (midi cables), but I have used USB midi interfaces as well with no problem. Even the large midi interfaces connect via USB.. so crack the manual on the Axiom and much will be revealed. sb
Old 04-25-2010, 08:01 AM

Midi has been around since 1983 or so. I think most guys that understand midi are pretty close to joining aarp at this point. Or even collecting SS. Anyway, I've toured with you Steve so don't be so harsh.

A 192 I/O is audio only. No midi involved. No way no how. If you're using an Axiom use the usb and get the software that m-audio provides to set up the controllers. You should be good. Either that or go through the protocol in PT and set up the controllers for the individual plugin.

But USB should be fine for full midi functionality, as it is MIDI that is flowing through the USB cable anyway.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
...and who are we to judge what we think he is or isn't

welcome to the DUC ungratefuldead

seek and you will find.

ignore any negativity

there is plenty of love

i use a little midiman into USB similar to what Bailey recommended to get my controller keyboard to play into PT.

my suggestion is to have your player play into the session and record it as audio by bussing it into an audio track from the inst track. midi in PT ....just not happening at least for those who have been active in midi for decades.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Anyway, I've toured with you Steve so don't be so harsh.
hmmmmm.... not sure who is harsh here, but... if you toured with me that would make you an "old guy" too. You might even be the guy who first explained midi to me, backstage at the Greek. (yes, it was that memorable, ((the lesson, not the gig!!!)))
Give me the initials of the artist or band that employed us... and I will figure out who you are and then send you the money that I probably owe you!! SB
Old 04-26-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyBass View Post
hmmmmm.... not sure who is harsh here, but... if you toured with me that would make you an "old guy" too. You might even be the guy who first explained midi to me, backstage at the Greek. (yes, it was that memorable, ((the lesson, not the gig!!!)))
Give me the initials of the artist or band that employed us... and I will figure out who you are and then send you the money that I probably owe you!! SB
I don't think you owe me any cash so you can relax. The initials are MF and it was a short tour.