Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2010, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Mixing with Headphones-suggestions/tips?

Just a quick tip on using headphones too. Because you're supposed to do this anyway with speakers, but it really becomes critical with headphones as you can't hear the low end:

Put a low cut filter on EVERY channel. Depending on the kind of music you're producing, this ranges from 30Hz to 70Hz (and above for guitar, hi hats, etc...)
Old 01-24-2010, 04:49 PM

You are right...it is taking alot of work back and forth between different sets of speakers ect.
Much better to get monitors when i am able...and believe me i will be getting a decent pair as soon as i am able. Especially now im starting to get some paid demo work.
thanks,
Luke K

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
But be prepared to be disappointed when you hear it through speakers. At one time, I did a bunch of "mixing" on 240s. Actually, they were even the 240DFs, which are technically nearly flat. It's simply inadequate any way you slice it. You can get demo mixes on phones, but nothing you'll want to release publicly. At least, I couldn't. If you have lots of time to spend at it, you may be able to hone in on a decent mix by listening back on various speakers - boom box, car, tv (using a DVD player, e.g.), a friend's hi-fi, etc. Make notes on what doesn't work, tweak, listen again through the various speaker systems, make notes, tweak... 5 or 6 rounds of that, and you should get there.
Pro tools 8.0.1
003 Rack
Mackie Mr5 monitors
Windows Vista Home Premium Sp1
Old 01-27-2010, 05:10 AM

I have the same problem! Broke and mixing through headphones that are not that great haha. I just go for it and then burn a cd and listen to it in my car, then go from there.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:20 AM

I know this is an old topic but I stumbled on this while researching mixing with headphones. Thought I'd share an article for you guys that REALLY helped. Looks like it IS possible to mix with headphones if you know what to look for...

http://www.rhythmic.ca/music-tutoria...eadphones.html