Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 06:01 PM

Default RE: Doubled midi notes- Problem Solved

I just wanted to get back in touch, as others have possibly had the same problem. Mine was with the M-Audio Keystation Pro 88. I was having doubled midi notes sometimes- tiny second notes hiding behind the original. I spoke to M-Audio today and figured out the problem. I was using the USB power cable that comes with the keyboard, and using a midi cable into my midi i/o. This seemed logical, since M-Audio doesn't supply a wall wart power supply. What I didn't know is that the keyboard was sending midi information through the USB cable as well as the midi cable, causing the problem. I bought the wall wart power supply and pulled the USB supply. Since then I have tested recording midi 5 or 6 times and can't reproduce ONE doubled note. This may sound small to many, especially to those who haven't had this problem, but this has been killing a handful of us. So, even if you aren't using the M-Audio keyboard, if you have a setup like mine, you can probably rectify your problem by using a wall wart. It seems that there should be a giant warning in the instruction booklet about this, especially since the USB cable is the only possible power that comes with the keyboard.
Hopefully this has helped someone else-
Thanks again for earlier replies
Old 05-22-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Re: RE: Doubled midi notes- Problem Solved

Why use a midi cable?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:55 PM

I'm not using a midi cable on mine and it works great.
Mac Mini (2019)
3.2 Ghz - 6 Core i7
Mojave with 64 GB RAM
PT Ultimate (2019.10)
Motu 16a
C/24 Control Surface
Old 05-23-2007, 07:09 AM

I'm glad it solved your issue but I've been using the wall wart since day one and have never plugged it in via USB. I just run MIDI out into a Digi MIDI i/o. The same goes for my Roland SPD-20 where I am experiencing the exact same issue. I think it has something to do with the sensitivity of the triggers. It's a pain but I work around it.
Pro Audio Sales/Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook
Old 05-23-2007, 08:58 AM

I'm sorry that is't the problem for you. I thought some of the others complaining about the doubled notes might have been doing what I was doing. As far as "why use a midi cable?", the gentleman I spoke with at M-Audio told me that with my setup the midi cable and power supply is the best way to go- so I took his advice.