Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2014, 06:46 PM

Default Pro Tools 10 Error -9516 Could Not Allocate Memory to the Disk Cache

I've read alot of these forums and i've seen many people have had the same problem as me so please forgive me for the repition in my question but i need assistance as although i know how to fix my problem ... i can't access that area.

On my Desktop and Laptop i have same error with my Pro Tools 10.3.0

Error: Could not allocate memory to the disk cache. Try Lowering your disk Buffer (DAE Buffer), disk cache size, or engine voice count. If you get this error on launch delete your prefs and try again. (-9514)

Now like i said before ive seen loads of these posts and even a step by step guide to fix it including screenshots but my issue is, i cant even access my Pro Tools bars along the top, as soon as i get this error the program stops responding.

I'm wondering is it possible to lower my Disk cache size, engine voice count, or my Disk Buffer (DAE Buffer) Externally from the program.
I know that the main way to fix this is to go into Setup on my bars and make the edits there but like i said the problem stops responding.

I have tried running the program in several different compatibility modes but nothing seems to work.

Any assistance would be fantastic, thanks very much.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:05 PM

Lightbulb Re: Pro Tools 10 Error -9516 Could Not Allocate Memory to the Disk Cache

Hold the N key on the keyboard while launching Pro Tools. This will allow you to change the playback engine.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Error -9516 Could Not Allocate Memory to the Disk Cache

Thank mate, ive managed to get into the settings now, however still getting the crashing and the same error, would u have any recommended settings?
Old 05-19-2014, 04:43 PM

Question Re: Pro Tools 10 Error -9516 Could Not Allocate Memory to the Disk Cache

Could you please post the crash data? Look in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ for your Pro Tools crash logs. I am interested in which thread crashed. The log will have a line that reads "Crashed Thread <some number>". Post the lines of text from the top through "Crashed Thread", then skip to whichever number thread crashed and only post the data for the crashed thread. I don't need the data for every single thread that was running.