Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 01-17-2011, 06:41 AM

Default Strike-Export Midi Problem......

Guys,

I'm a new user to Strike.

I've been searching for the past hour on the DUC and although this question seems to have been posted a few times, I can't seem to find any answer to the problem I'm having.

I've been trying to record a simple, single pattern using the export midi function, similar to what Russ does here in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq08h...eature=related

but when I then drag this onto a ProTools midi track (set to Strike channel 15 of course), it plays back incorrect sounds from the kit I'm using (or maybe plays back with incorrect decay information - is this possible?).

Could anyone out there who's an experienced user please check what result they get when they use the "E+Ragga 098" preset, then drag and drop the "C2 Ragga 98 Bridge A" pattern to a midi track for me??

Hoping it's me being a doofus.

Cheers

Steve Bush
Old 01-17-2011, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Strike-Export Midi Problem......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
when I then drag this onto a ProTools midi track (set to Strike channel 15 of course), it plays back incorrect sounds
Hi Steve, what happens when you drag the Strike Performance into the Track List, thus Pro Tools creates the MIDI track, you just assign the output? Also try recording two or three bars in Strike and simply cut the region.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:11 AM

Aaron,

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Dragging to the Track List produces exactly the same result. Because a lot of the videos around the place discussing how to do this are based on the old Strike version where it split it into individual tracks, I tried dropping the file to the Track List to get the dialogue window to come up and split the file into separate tracks, but of course now it creates only a single track and it auto assigns to channel 15 (correct behaviour as far as I can tell). So nothing different going on there.

I don't know if you'll get a moment, but try the patch I mentioned above and tell me what you get. Basically it's a kind of Ragga groove with short hi-hats that become a raging "rain storm" of open hat nonsense when it's played back via midi. Also it appears the velocities may not be the same, but in the limited testing I've had a chance to do, it's a bit hard to tell exactly what's being messed up altogether. Because the sounds being triggered (or decay parameter) is being messed with so badly and because I'm so unfamiliar with Strike's workings overall at this point (only my first few hours with the plug), I just don't quite know how to unpick what's going loopy here.

Cheers

Steve Bush
Old 01-18-2011, 01:19 AM

PS,

Aaron. Forgot to say.

Quote:
Also try recording two or three bars in Strike and simply cut the region.

It's not the actual pattern itself that's wrong, it's the fact that the sounds are being triggered wrong or are "playing themselves" differently than when the Strike Style plays this patch itself internally.

Ta.

SB
Old 01-18-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
I don't know if you'll get a moment, but try the patch I mentioned above and tell me what you get.
It's a bug. Strike Preset E+Ragga 098 C2 plays back a different pattern than what was exported.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:30 PM

Steve, can you post your system details and Pro Tools and Strike versions please.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:30 AM

Aaron,

Thanks for buddying up with me on this one.

I just spent the last 6 hours downloading the web installer version to see if that made any difference, but after purging my system and completely reinstalling, it's no better. The version number of Strike on my DVD's is the same version as the web installer, so no joy there.

MacPro 2 X 2.26 Quad-core / 6GB RAM / OSX10.6.5 (combo updated) / HD3 PCIe / 3 x 192's / SYNC & MIDI IO's / PT V8.1cs2 / Strike V1.5.0.9708

The problem for me has been that if I knew the program better, I'd happily just work around the problem (program by hand etc.), but as a total beginner with this plug, I simply had no idea of what the cause of this was (and still don't really). Is it the midi info that's being recorded wrong or is it some kind of decay interaction with midi velocity on playback that's in error? I could easily spend hours trying to unpick a problem like this, only to find I'm not gonna get anywhere due to it being a programming bug. It just casts doubt in my mind about what else is buggy in this software that's gonna catch me out and make me look foolish in front of clients and potentially wreck a productive session.

I know some people get their knickers in a twist, but I might just flag this up over on the main PTHD thread to see if DigiTechSupport might be able to comment.

Cheers

Steve Bush
Old 01-19-2011, 02:28 AM

OK,

Here's the results of a bit of further investigation:

If I load up a Preset and save the overall plugin setting in my session folder (say as "Strike #01) and then record a pattern to the midi buffer for dropping onto my arrangement window, just as I drop the exported file onto the midi track in the arrange window, the dialogue window at the bottom of Strike flashes up a change of some description (usually "master level automation" or "playing dynamic -100%) and the blue "compare" button comes on immediately indicating the plug has been changed. Why?? If I then click the blue compare button to return the saved settings, the midi track still doesn't play back the correct sounds and sometimes if the message that has been sent is say randomly "master level -inf", then I get no sound from the plug at all until I reset the master level by hand.

I understand that all the controls in the plug are assignable to midi control numbers which is brilliant and all, but why is the export buffer sending random messages when it's contents are dropped to the arrangement window??

Here's one for you Aaron and/or anyone else here who is game for a laugh, try these 2 presets and tell me what happens:

Any pattern in "E+Ragga 098" and then try note D1 in "E+Offbeat 126".

Cheers.

Steve Bush
Old 01-19-2011, 05:09 AM
Avid

I'm technically out of the office today and not in front of a system, but I *think* the problem may be that you're not setting the correct MIDI channel on the track that has Strike on it when dragging out the MIDI part.

I believe you have to set it to channel 2 (sorry I'm not recalling this right off the top of my head - I use templates that have this set up already and the details are escaping me at the moment, most likely due to it being 5am and no coffee yet..).
Old 01-19-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
I believe you have to set it to channel 2 (sorry I'm not recalling this right off the top of my head - I use templates that have this set up already and the details are escaping me at the moment, most likely due to it being 5am and no coffee yet..).
...then more coffee you need. As of Strike 1.5 MIDI Output Channel 15 is used when assigning an exported Performance. Strike 1.0 used Channel 2.