Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2008, 04:11 PM

Default Studio design - opinions

Hi,

Not sure if I should post this on this forum but I'd really appreciate some of your thoughts.

I have just taken on some premises in which I want to build a second studio. It's essentially an oblong shape 10.8 x 7.5 x 3.2m
with a small brick built room on one side. I've done a few designs which I feel I'd be happy to implement but before I do I'd like some of your expert opinions as to which design you feel would offer

1) a versatile recording space,
2) the best shaped control room
3) the best overall workspace

Below is a link to the designs (which are approximate in size and structure but should give you an idea)

http://www.q4smit.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/newfly/

I really appreciate your time and advice in advance!!

Alan
Old 06-17-2008, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Studio design - opinions

probably better to post this in general

of the 4, 4 leave some odd dead space

what kind/size projects are you planning to do

you might want to think about a separate Machine Room/Closet for the Pro tools computer, hard-drives, power amp's w/ fans

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-17-2008, 11:26 PM

I instantly liked your design number two. It looks like a winner to me, but naturally you will have to make it work in reality For me the #1 most important thing is that control room is absolutely symmetrical, which is what that design really has nailed. Perhaps you would treat that back corner as well?

Anyway, that's the most important thing to get right. If you can trust that you hear the truth, only then you can really focus on what you hear and not have any doubts.

Have you thought about the materials yet? In my opinion control room should be "dead" and where you record it would be beneficial if there was at least something very hard materials used on the floor. I like the sound of wood, but many think it's too "live". Good thing that you already have a brick wall; do not cover it all with soft and dampening materials
Old 06-18-2008, 01:18 AM

Hi,

1 or 2, probably 1 for me with the extra control room space where you spend most of the time with clients. plus the live room has the most usable shape.

3 and 4 both have the problem of the entrance! people entering through the live room to get to the control room? that would be a nightmare, everytime a band member wants to go and have a smoke or go to the shop etc.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:39 AM

I'd definatly go with option 2, Then you also have acces to you studio via the controll room, instead of into the recording area, so you won't have interuptions
2020 Mac Pro 16 Core
386 GB Ram

www.louisenslin.com
Old 06-18-2008, 05:25 AM

Many thanks for your thoughts so far

Craig - 'of the 4, 4 leave some odd dead space' - I thought I might do something more inventive with the kitchen area in that regard.

'what kind/size projects are you planning to do'

I'm trying to pitch for more serious projects, currently I seem to do many short demo sessions (1 to 2 days) in fact my studio is pretty solidly booked with this sort of work, but I'd like to get more album projects, not necessarily big budget but more time, time to consider the music more!!

'you might want to think about a separate Machine Room/Closet for the Pro tools computer, hard-drives, power amp's w/ fans'

The long off shot room on the drawings is where I plan to locate the noisy stuff! I've just bought an old Amek GM2520 and the 4 power supplies look like they'll wipe out the national grid when I switch on.

JFreak - 'Perhaps you would treat that back corner as well?' - Without a doubt. The great thing (for me) about these premises is that they are right next door to my current studio, in fact I could knock through but I'm thinking keep them separate and the corner you refer to is where the two studios co-exist so I have to make sure that corner is treated correctly.

'If you can trust that you hear the truth, only then you can really focus on what you hear and not have any doubts.'

Totally agree on this one. You guys probably wouldn't believe the state of my current place (it's cramped, stuffed to the gunnels with old synths and junk) but I've had a fairly successful run in the place with the most famous band from the uk (in recent years) being 'born' in there (as in all the demos that got spread worldwide on the net) but the one thing about it despite it's many faults is that there are no parallel walls and it sounds surprisingly honest, far from accurate, but pretty honest.

'Have you thought about the materials yet?'

I come from an art school background so when anyone says this to me I start thinking 'hmm? walnut, a smattering of gold leaf perhaps, bronze?' not plasterboard, acoustic matting, stud walling! but I'm reading up and agree that the control room should be dampened down considerably. Mind you I've been in some control rooms that are so dead that I feel like I've had the life sucked out of me! never mind the sound. The 'live area' is currently concrete floor and brick walls and as the space is empty it has a pretty lively 4 to 5 second reverb in it. Thought I might do an IR sample or two before I start work!
Think I'll go for a wooden floor and have carpets/large rugs that can be rolled out when wanted.

Chris - 'the extra control room space where you spend most of the time with clients. plus the live room has the most usable shape' - Agreed, it's mega important that the control room feels comfortable to work in and has a great vibe and I like the shape of the live room too. I think it'll be interesting to look at, sit in and, as I believe the creative process is more than just the recording then I'm hoping this'll help inspire.

'3 and 4 both have the problem of the entrance! people entering through the live room to get to the control room? that would be a nightmare, everytime a band member wants to go and have a smoke or go to the shop etc.'

You should see how it is now!!!!! not enough room to swing a cat. If a five piece band orders in Pizza we have to rearrange the boxes into a raft so we can sail back out of the control room. Once had an 11 piece ska band in there, it was hilarious!

By the way I did the drawings in Sketchup from Google. What a brilliant free program, well handy for trying out ideas in 3d.

Alan
Old 06-18-2008, 07:52 AM

Great concepts!

To me, the #1 control room and studio look like they would sound good. I'm not crazy about control rooms that have the board facing a corner. I also like the big usable tracking space.

Jeff D.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:

Craig - 'of the 4, 4 leave some odd dead space' - I thought I might do something more inventive with the kitchen area in that regard.

I was looking at the long skinny wedge between the control Room and the out side wall, looks like dead wasted space to me

have you thought about marking up the layout w/ tape on the floor?
it can help get a sense of what the space will be w/ walls

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-18-2008, 07:32 PM

How about #1, but with the Control & Live Rooms switched? Not sure if the Live Room would be on the small side for your projects, but the larger Control Room would be nice.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:25 AM

Hi,

You don't want the control-room to sound boomy. So make sure that it is not to small and avoid parallel opposite walls. (because of room-modes)

Good luck!

Niels