Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2011, 04:59 PM

Default Idiot Recording Question

So, I just was able to get Pro Tools reinstalled on my new laptop. I haven't used it for several months as I was waiting for the new system.

I loaded up one of my prior sessions and everything is fine, except for one small issue that my stupid pea brain can't seem to recall. I need to create the guitar track. I have other tracks on the session so I added a stereo Instrument track and set the input i/o to Eleven Rack and output to Mains. When I record enable the track I can hear the input through the monitor totally fine. However, when I actually switch the session into record, the sound from the guitar track is no longer audible nor does Pro Tools appear to be recording any of the input.

I did a quick check of my user's guide. I am sure I am missing something totally stupid and I was hoping someone could quickly point what it is out before I have to invest a large amount of time in debugging the issue further.

I would appreciate the advice from those more experienced that I!
Old 05-01-2011, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Idiot Recording Question

Sorry I don't know the specifics of using Eleven Rack. I just think if you want to record an audio file of your guitar playing you need to create an audio track, not an instrument track. I don't know why you can hear the guitar on input with the instrument track, but that is normally for VI's triggered by midi. Please ignore if I didn't understand the question.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:37 PM

When I was typing the question I wondered the same thing.I switched it out for a stereo audio track and BINGO you are absolutely correct!

Thank you so much for the quick fix!!

I do find it strange that an Instrument track isn't for an instrument but that is another discussion.

Again thanks so much.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:38 PM

Bashville looks to have nailed it.

I just tried setting up both an instrument track and an audio track with my Eleven rack. With the instrument track (which is presumably for midi) the meter does show some input but nothing is recorded.

With the audio track all works as it should. Have you tried that?

Chris

OOPS... too late. Posting at the same time, and lost by a whisker... The main thing is that it now works.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saroehr View Post
" that my stupid pea brain can't seem to recall."
Dude..The only thing that stops each individual from achieving full potential...is ourselves. By berating oneself, you are building a barrier to success.

In Pro Tools, at top of window select Track>Auto Input Monitoring
(If it currently says Input Only Monitoring, click on it)

Select Track again & you should see Auto input monitoring has been selected

And I totally overlooked the track type lol.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
I do find it strange that an Instrument track isn't for an instrument but that is another discussion.
Why do you find it strange? The only instrument you can "plug into" protools is some form of virtual instrument. You cannot plug a real instrument into protools, what you actually plug into protools (or protools' ADC) is the output from a mic-pre. All protools can "see" is a sound source, what is feeding the signal to the mic-pre is irrelevant, beit a guitar or a car crash.

G
Old 05-02-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
When I was typing the question I wondered the same thing.I switched it out for a stereo audio track and BINGO you are absolutely correct!

Thank you so much for the quick fix!!

Again thanks so much.
Basically an instrument track is for a plug in instrument, it really is sort of 'pro tools lingo' and not typical. For any 'real' instrument, like a bass or guitar, your going to do as stated and what you've now done, use an audio track. Lets say you wanted to wash some strings across the chorus or something? you would use an instrument track, and do it via one of the plug in instruments (or hire an orchestra, whichever you find easier )

Pro tools is complicated but not THAT complicated, once you get your head around a few concepts you will be off to the bloody races, sounds like your already on your way!