Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-02-2024, 07:20 AM

Default Re: M-Audio Midi Driver Removal / PT 2024

Avid doesn't care. If I may play the cynic. The ownership simply doesn't know about or care what users do with the software. Someone made a decision to cut it out because it might sell more hardware. It won't but I imagine that was the brief discussion. Even though none of the current hardware can do what Mulligan can.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:51 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Avid doesn't care. If I may play the cynic. The ownership simply doesn't know about or care what users do with the software. Someone made a decision to cut it out because it might sell more hardware. It won't but I imagine that was the brief discussion. Even though none of the current hardware can do what Mulligan can.
Will... you can say what you want but that is not true. Our software team found that the old M-Audio driver was causing unwanted interactions with other control protocols such as EUCON and HUI. There were issues there that prevented 100% success so it WAS necessary to remove the driver in Pro Tools 2024.3 to preserve performance, stability, and functionality for EUCON and HUI-based controllers. We test the heck out of things and it was their call to remove it.

Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 04-02-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
Will... you can say what you want but that is not true. Our software team found that the old M-Audio driver was causing unwanted interactions with other control protocols such as EUCON and HUI. There were issues there that prevented 100% success so it WAS necessary to remove the driver in Pro Tools 2024.3 to preserve performance, stability, and functionality for EUCON and HUI-based controllers. We test the heck out of things and it was their call to remove it.

Marianna
Thanks Marianna. I've said before but I really appreciate your interaction here.

I'm going through my pessimist cycle

I think users are upset here because it's removing functionality that isn't possible with Eucon and no public plans to make it so. I have a Command-8 that was sidelined but the S1 kind of replaces it.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
It is not AVID's responsibility to "fix" InMusic's M-Audio driver.
This is a misunderstanding of the situation, and of the authorship of the driver.

Avid (not InMusic) wrote the M-Audio Keyboard driver that is found in Pro Tools. Just like Avid wrote the HUI driver that's part of Pro Tools – that was not written by Mackie.

While it is true that other companies may be involved in developing MIDI controller protocols, the implementation of those protocols, as found in Pro Tools, is purely the responsibility of Avid.

As an additional wrinkle, at the time that the M-Audio Keyboard driver was first introduced (c. 2009, under the marketing name "HyperControl"), M-Audio was owned by Avid. So in this case, Avid had a hand in developing the protocol as well.
Old 04-08-2024, 05:51 AM

Quote:

Marianna
Look Marianna, we really appreciate your support on this forum a lot but nobody believes this frankly, you can tell this to the devs.

Also, a lot of people still depend on the M-Audio Driver, particularly old customers who still use Avid's products which should be the majority of their professional userbase and by removing that driver they are alienating them nicely.

This isn't your typical user base that just swallows the Kool-Aid.

The majority won't update now and most likely a few years later migrate to another DAW, since at least for me, 2 years ago, the only reason I updated my Ultimate was due to Atmos but that's not necessary anymore.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:26 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticmike View Post
Look Marianna, we really appreciate your support on this forum a lot but nobody believes this frankly, you can tell this to the devs.

Also, a lot of people still depend on the M-Audio Driver, particularly old customers who still use Avid's products which should be the majority of their professional userbase and by removing that driver they are alienating them nicely.

This isn't your typical user base that just swallows the Kool-Aid.

The majority won't update now and most likely a few years later migrate to another DAW, since at least for me, 2 years ago, the only reason I updated my Ultimate was due to Atmos but that's not necessary anymore.
Hi Mike

I guess I just believe what I am told..... I did pass this whole situation along to Rob in hopes that I can get some insight on whether this is in fact true or not.

Keep you posted.
Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 04-08-2024, 12:52 PM

It probably means Avid is coming out with some keyboard or something, and it wouldve caused issues.....
Old 04-08-2024, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
It probably means Avid is coming out with some keyboard or something, and it wouldve caused issues.....
That would be one of the more stupid mistakes Avid could make. Reinventing the M-Audio failure all over again. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that Avid is likely to do anything so stupid. And STG is a software focused investor, I suspect they have little tolerance for hardware and if anything I'd be expecting more cuts in hardware stuff from Avid. But of course I know nothing.

But I also find the excuses here worrying. Not sure why this driver/interface is difficult to keep working especially given the impact on folks. And if there is supposed to be a theme or improving MIDI in Pro Tools, in a round about way this is kinda shooting yourself in the foot since many MIDI keyboard users are affected.
Old 04-08-2024, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Hi Mike

I guess I just believe what I am told..... I did pass this whole situation along to Rob in hopes that I can get some insight on whether this is in fact true or not.

Keep you posted.
Marianna
Thank you Marianna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
That would be one of the more stupid mistakes Avid could make. Reinventing the M-Audio failure all over again. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that Avid is likely to do anything so stupid. And STG is a software focused investor, I suspect they have little tolerance for hardware and if anything I'd be expecting more cuts in hardware stuff from Avid. But of course I know nothing.

But I also find the excuses here worrying. Not sure why this driver/interface is difficult to keep working especially given the impact on folks. And if there is supposed to be a theme or improving MIDI in Pro Tools, in a round about way this is kinda shooting yourself in the foot since many MIDI keyboard users are affected.
They could simply allow for any midi device to take control of the DAW via a customization menu just like the shortcuts, but they don't want this.

I mean, integrating the Dolby Atmos renderer inside pro tools, tied in with the DAW, yet a simple M-Audio Keyboard driver causes so much instability that it HAS to be removed, c'mon.....

Last edited by atticmike; 04-08-2024 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:44 AM

Great, so I'm paying for Avid support and upgrades and, luckily, have been holding off on upgrading to 2024.3. I use an M-Audio Oxygen61 controller for controlling transport and record functions along with my keyboard MIDI input and with it's faders, to write PT automation.

Now I find out I'll need to replace the M-Audio keyboard to use 2024.3 or end paying my perpetual license support and upgrades (with their new price increases) in order to continue to use it.

Looks like I will be staying at 2023.12.1 going forward and not renewing anymore.

PT 2023.12.1 Ultimate, 7,1 Mac Pro -12 Core, 96 GB RAM, OS 12.7.4 Monterey, 2 TB SSD system and apps, 2 TB Accelsior RAID 0 SSD projects / HD Native card with HD Omni, Eleven Rack, UAD Quad PCIe, UAD TB3 OCTO satellite, MOTU midi express 128 // Mac Pro 4,1 - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB RAM, OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, PT 11.3.2