Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-01-2024, 02:06 AM

Default Re: M-Audio Midi Driver Removal / PT 2024

Want to chime in here as well. The M-Audio driver, in concert with Mulligan, is central to my workflow. It enables me to have deep, customizable, recallable control over plugin parameters at my fingertips, in a way that even Avid's own hardware/software doesn't match. And I can use basically any midi controllers for this purpose, including tiny, portable, bus-powered ones that are suitable for travel.

Avid, I urge you to bring back this driver, or provide equivalent functionality. Other DAWs offer much deeper plugin control via MIDI, and Mulligan filled that gap for PT. Without this functionality, I'll be keeping my system at 2023.12.1, not renewing my perpetual license next month (which I've never missed renewing since 2006), and I'll likely find myself progressively working more in my other oft-used DAW, Ableton Suite.
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 04-01-2024, 02:50 AM

+ 1 on fixing the M-Audio Midi Driver removal

and a response from Avid to the emails we sent would be a minimum
Old 04-01-2024, 05:28 AM

The Windows driver (.dll) file is still included in the Controllers folder, it's just not showing up in the selection (2024.3.0). Maybe take comfort that it's still there and just a glitch it's not showing up?
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.5
Old 04-01-2024, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Horse View Post
a response from Avid to the emails we sent would be a minimum
Here is the reply by Avid on another thread:

"Hey everyone that commented on the m-audio driver removal..... here is why this was done and what was discovered during testing. My apologies on behalf of Avid for not communicating this was going to happen prior and not adding to the Release Notes for 2024.3 either. Notice was sent to the product team to not do that in the future .....

During testing for the latest version of Pro Tools, Avid software development teams found that the old M-Audio keyboard driver (originally created to support 2 M-Audio keyboard controllers that have been out of support for over 10 years) was causing unwanted interactions with other control protocols such as EUCON and HUI. It became necessary to remove the driver in Pro Tools 2024.3 to preserve performance, stability, and functionality for EUCON and HUI-based controllers.

In the meantime, we recommend that users of third-party hardware that relied on the deprecated M-Audio driver to follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to setup their device with Pro Tools software.

So with the introduction of MIDI FX support and expanded MIDI signal flow, Pro Tools 2024.3 focuses on MIDI workflow and demonstrates our commitment to ongoing enhancements of the MIDI capabilities in Pro Tools. We are also working closely with the MIDI association to embrace the latest standards and expand functionality in the near future.

Thanks....
Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna"

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.5 running Protools 2024.6
Old 04-01-2024, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The Windows driver (.dll) file is still included in the Controllers folder, it's just not showing up in the selection (2024.3.0). Maybe take comfort that it's still there and just a glitch it's not showing up?
Oh well, it was a thought.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.5
Old 04-01-2024, 07:33 AM

💥💥💥 DEAR AVID 💥💥💥

You are sending THOUSANDS of keyboard controllers to the landfill. This is not the first time this destructive practice has been undertaken -- I'm looking at you: CONTROL 24.

The M-Audio Keyboard driver is an important part of the Pro Tools workflow. This driver was removed in Pro Tools 2024.3. Please add it back to Pro Tools so that the user experience can continue to be the best possible, AND AS THE MOST RESPONSIBLE DECISION FOR THE PLANET.

Why on Earth would Avid tighten its reigns to disallow generic controllers and weaken its status as the dominant DAW? Avid should be INVITING interaction, not RESTRICTING it. This is 100% antithetical to the industry and its communities. MIDI arose from "what do we have? what can we do? what potential is there here?"

Open Sound Control and MIDI 2.0 are REALITIES, and the competition is implementing them. Does Avid really think we're going to buy more S6's because we can't use our old Novations? NOT A CHANCE! EuCon was IMPOSSIBLE to use comfortably to control plugins on an MC Mix. These things stay in our blood.

We live in an era of customization. The kids want options - ALL the options. Shareholders of the corporation aren't in the studios with the engineers at 4am trying to use these restrictive tools. Deadlines are FIERCE now, budgets are tight. When your software is priced astronomically, there is no available money for expensive controllers - the current business models seem to be trawling for subscribers: obviously, then, INCENTIVES to subscribing need to be there. How about: "We've upgraded our system so you can use ANY MIDI device from 1980 to the current day MIDI 2.0, OSC"? That's how you blow people's minds. "We've rebuilt our MIDI engine for accuracy of capture appropriate to 2024, and tuned our latency across the app, so now you can author music composition and music production successfully with our software." TALK TO THE USERBASE, instead of phoning home parameters and guessing at what people are doing.

When you stop playing nicely in the sandbox, sooner or later you will be removed from the sandbox. I bought Steinberg Nuendo last year, even though I didn't need to, even though I have no time to learn it or switch - willing to pay $1600 CAD to get away from such a neverending emphasis on greed - it's exactly due to these types of dismissive attitudes and practices that Avid continuously exhibits, that I am looking to SWITCH COMPANIES as soon as I can. This is like when I switched from StudioVision Pro to the more option-ful, engaging Emagic Logic, guess which one won? Guess where people are still composing? For serious work, it's not in Pro Tools.

When I bang a pot now, it's not about Avid, it's about Steinberg and how they treat its users with inclusion, excitement and respect. Perhaps Avid's technical long view needs to crib some notes from its marketing department. Can you imagine... "ho die doe, ho die doe... let's try to compete with N.I. by making our own Maschine, dum di dum, dum di dum. We can sell expansion packs" -- when the PT MIDI engine from 1999 still can't even capture MIDI accurately!

Develop and celebrate the existing structures to be an industry leader - axing protocols while feature-matching competitors is an embarrassment. If the userbase doesn't matter, if the community doesn't matter, if excitement doesn't matter, at least think of the seagulls picking at the Kenton Killamix in the landfill. We haven't forgotten the CONTROL 24. Not once has there been a up-mod program.

A mod is welcome to edit, bump, redirect. I never come out of my shell to post here. Thanks, KJM
Old 04-01-2024, 09:04 AM

Hi guys,

it seems that no one believes that AVID could not fix the M-Audio driver.
I'm in doubt, too.

Looks like a bad move!

Best
Maik
Old 04-01-2024, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsian View Post
Hi guys,

it seems that no one believes that AVID could not fix the M-Audio driver.
I'm in doubt, too.

Looks like a bad move!

Best
Maik
It is not AVID's responsibility to "fix" InMusic's M-Audio driver.
Old 04-01-2024, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
It is not AVID's responsibility to "fix" InMusic's M-Audio driver.

Can’t disagree, but for $400/yr, they should be providing a modern, functional way to operate plugins with midi controllers. If they don’t want to, they should incorporate Mulligan into the software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 04-02-2024, 06:12 AM

This is bad news. This is going to prevent me from doing the upgrade,
I absolutely need the M-Audio Keyboard driver.

It's very bad for customers to simply remove a feature without
notice. I have made investments for my studio that depend exclusively
on using the M-Audio Keyboard driver and it will be very bad for me to
not be able to use it.

I feel I'm paying for a software that I'm not going to be able to use in
its latest version.
Not good.

Please Avid, add it back to Pro Tools.