Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-27-2024, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Missing/Incorrect Hardware Inputs

Yes but what actual driver is installed?Do you have the exact link to what you are downloading. Is that the same exact driver on the studio computer?

If Audio MIDI aggregate setup shows two I/O then it is unlikely to be the user account issues.

I would hope any studio would work with you on solving problems.

Failing that contact Motu support, it's not a Pro Tools issue.
Old 05-28-2024, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Yes but what actual driver is installed?Do you have the exact link to what you are downloading. Is that the same exact driver on the studio computer?

If Audio MIDI aggregate setup shows two I/O then it is unlikely to be the user account issues.

I would hope any studio would work with you on solving problems.

Failing that contact Motu support, it's not a Pro Tools issue.
The one at the top of this page:
https://motu.com/en-us/download/prod...orm_family=mac

I believe the studio Mac is using the same one. Can you think of any other things I should look at on the studio’s computer compared to mine?
Old 05-28-2024, 03:00 PM

That is a 828 Mk3 Hybrid driver and the initial post said you had a 828 Mk3? So what exact interface do you have? And if an 828 Mk3 Hybrid are you using USB or FireWire?

The driver bundle you pointed at installs legacy kernel extension/kext drivers for USB 2 and FireWire, the kexts are Apple Silicon and Intel compatible. The usual issue with those drivers is granting permissions on newer macOS versions but if drivers have been installed in the past the system will just use/accept new installs. And any problems there will just stop the device working at all.

And I'm pretty sure the 828 Mk3 is not USB class compliant and so won't work at all without the driver, but you should check all this with Motu support.

Since the drivers are legacy kext that removes any potential issues with modern Driverkit drivers or bundles that have both types of drivers. And you can confirm the actual driver in use by connecting the interface to the mac and then running...

$ kextstat | grep Motu

If you are using USB you should see result containing com.motu.driver.MicroBookAudio and the version info 1.6. 89555.

If you are using FireWire you should see results containing com.motu.driver.FireWireAudio and the same version info 1.6 89555

Do you see that? The exact same version show on both Macs?

Are you using the same exact cable that the other Mac is using? Just something to try. But I suspect more it's the 828 or setup. Check the driver versions like I describe above and repeat the same create a new aggregate test on the other Mac and look at the subdevices I/O ports that AMS shows. Beyond that I would just contact Motu support.
Old 05-29-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
That is a 828 Mk3 Hybrid driver and the initial post said you had a 828 Mk3? So what exact interface do you have? And if an 828 Mk3 Hybrid are you using USB or FireWire?

The driver bundle you pointed at installs legacy kernel extension/kext drivers for USB 2 and FireWire, the kexts are Apple Silicon and Intel compatible. The usual issue with those drivers is granting permissions on newer macOS versions but if drivers have been installed in the past the system will just use/accept new installs. And any problems there will just stop the device working at all.

And I'm pretty sure the 828 Mk3 is not USB class compliant and so won't work at all without the driver, but you should check all this with Motu support.

Since the drivers are legacy kext that removes any potential issues with modern Driverkit drivers or bundles that have both types of drivers. And you can confirm the actual driver in use by connecting the interface to the mac and then running...

$ kextstat | grep Motu

If you are using USB you should see result containing com.motu.driver.MicroBookAudio and the version info 1.6. 89555.

If you are using FireWire you should see results containing com.motu.driver.FireWireAudio and the same version info 1.6 89555

Do you see that? The exact same version show on both Macs?

Are you using the same exact cable that the other Mac is using? Just something to try. But I suspect more it's the 828 or setup. Check the driver versions like I describe above and repeat the same create a new aggregate test on the other Mac and look at the subdevices I/O ports that AMS shows. Beyond that I would just contact Motu support.
My bad, I was on my phone - but no not the Hybrid, just the regular ole 828 mk3.

Running kextstat - I see com.motu.FireWireAudio with the correct version
We are using firewire->USB->USB-C at the studio (for their computer and mine - same cables and everything)

I see in my System Extensions that I have both MOTUFireWireAudio.kext and MOTUMicroBookAudio.kext.

I'll have to check later today on the studio's computer to look for any differences.
Old 05-29-2024, 01:12 PM

Is the FireWire 828 Mk. 3 is expected to work with the latest 828 Mk 3. Hybrid drivers ? I hope so but there might be some implication from Motu listing drivers for the 828 Mk. 3 separately from drivers for the 828 Mk. 3 Hybrid that they may not. Again you should be in touch with Motu support.

What is installed in systems extension folder does not tell you anything about anything except what files you have installed. If kextstat shows a driver is loaded when the device is connected then at least the system has probed the device enough and is assuming that driver can handle that device (but does Motu actually say this driver is OK for that device?). That's much more useful info. And its a good sign that FireWire driver is loaded.

There is no such thing as FireWire to USB. You likely are using FireWire to Thunderbolt, hopefully via the Apple FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter. Thunderbolt uses a USB-C connector, but it is not "USB". Well OK it is now an optional part of the USB-4 and later specs but to be clear here you are running Thunderbolt, can't be using common USB cables etc.
Old 05-29-2024, 07:40 PM

Okay... updates...

1. Yes it's the 828 mk3 Hybrid

2. The connection is straight up USB (with a USB-C adapter - for both macs) - I'm not sure why I thought FireWire was involved at all. That's a blunder on my end!

3. Ran kextstat - when it's plugged in both FireWire and MicroBookAudio show up. On the studio mac, only FireWire showed up.

4. When adding the MOTU as an Aux I/O - ProTools is only seeing 2in/24out (same with Aggregate).

5. Confirmed the MOTU Audio Setup Settings against the studio's mac again

6. The 2 inputs is registering are the Mic/Line inputs on the front of the interface. Current work-around is patching the line output of the preamp into line input on the front of the interface. It's annoying, but currently I RARELY need more than that at this particular studio, for now.

7. I tried going to MOTU support early on, but since the product is not mine/not registered to me there's not really an option for support. I haven't spent the time to find a way to actually get support from them. But I'll look again.

8. Oh yeah, the head engineer said he Factory Reset the interface before I got in today, in hopes of helping my situation. ALSO, this morning, I went through to an April 2nd Time Machine backup to restore any and all files relating to MOTU, ProTools, or system audio.

At this point...some options are:
- Complete uninstall/re-install of ProTools and ALL audio devices
- Complete system restoration from April 2nd Time Machine backup

But it'd rather not have to do something that extreme if possible lol
Old 05-30-2024, 01:31 PM

This thread is full of confusing descriptions of what you are doing, you may have wasted lots of time here with this lack of clarity. And now... so is the studio Mac using FireWire and you are using USB with your Mac? I really hope both Macs are not physically connected to the Motu at once? The studio Mac is likely not using USB if only the FireWire kext is loaded, so just what is going on here? Are you looking at what kexts are loaded with the interfaces connected and powered on to each Mac separately? You should be using the same exact cable to the Motu as the studio Mac is using, unplug from that Mac and plug into your Mac.

Something may be messed up with your system if you are getting both the FireWire and USB kexts loaded. There are maybe ways that a driver developer might cause that to happen, but it looks suspicious. I have no experience with that exact hybrid interface and no system in front of me to pick at with debug tools. Have you searched Motu or other forums well, asked hybrid USB users if they see similar issues/kext loading?

Again all this is nothing to do with Pro Tools. That was clearly shown with the aggregate sub devices. So no surprise that aux IO won't work either. Stuff is either broken on your Mac at a driver/OS level or the interface hardware is faulty (esp. if the studio Mac is using firewire and you are using USB).
Old 05-30-2024, 10:08 PM

Quote:
This thread is full of confusing descriptions of what you are doing, you may have wasted lots of time here with this lack of clarity. And now... so is the studio Mac using FireWire and you are using USB with your Mac? I really hope both Macs are not physically connected to the Motu at once? The studio Mac is likely not using USB if only the FireWire kext is loaded, so just what is going on here? Are you looking at what kexts are loaded with the interfaces connected and powered on to each Mac separately? You should be using the same exact cable to the Motu as the studio Mac is using, unplug from that Mac and plug into your Mac.

Something may be messed up with your system if you are getting both the FireWire and USB kexts loaded. There are maybe ways that a driver developer might cause that to happen, but it looks suspicious. I have no experience with that exact hybrid interface and no system in front of me to pick at with debug tools. Have you searched Motu or other forums well, asked hybrid USB users if they see similar issues/kext loading?

Again all this is nothing to do with Pro Tools. That was clearly shown with the aggregate sub devices. So no surprise that aux IO won't work either. Stuff is either broken on your Mac at a driver/OS level or the interface hardware is faulty (esp. if the studio Mac is using firewire and you are using USB).
There is an interface at the studio - a MOTU 828 mk3 Hybrid. For years, I have been using the studio by unplugging the USB from the studio Mac, and plugging it into my laptop. [Honestly, I'm not sure why I thought FireWire was involved - I remembered the head engineer there mentioning it and soon there was just a USB out front that I could unplug and plug into my machine].

Sometime in the last 2 weeks, ProTools suddenly stopped seeing all of the hardware inputs - only recognizing 2 inputs (which appear to correlate to Mic/Line 1 + 2 on the front of the interface). The OS sees all the inputs (according Audio MIDI Setup). Other DAWs see all the inputs (according to Ableton Live). This is why I thought it's a ProTools problem.

I only looked into kext stuff once it was mentioned in this thread.
With no interface plugged in - com.motu.driver.FireWireAudio shows up when `kextstat | grep motu` is ran (this is true for both my MacBook as well as the studio's Mac Studio).

While at the studio, with the MOTU plugged in to my MacBook, I ran the same command and com.motu.driver.MicroBookAudio showed up as well as com.motu.driver.FireWireAudio. However, when I turned off the interface, plugged it back into the studio's Mac Studio and ran the command, still only the FireWireAudio kext showed. I noted this because it's one of the only differences I'm seeing between my computer and the studio's (considering everything is working fine on the Mac Studio).

Yes, it is all confusing. I've been trying to answer questions, provide results, get screenshots, and try suggestions from multiple people during the little time I have while I'm at the studio with the gear in front of me.