Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2021, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Can't find I/O for USB mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChops View Post
Ok, I'm trying to understand "aggregated" devices. But please try to remember that my only "operational" background is multitrack tape and studio recording ith engineers where all I did was play. I did a little fooling round with Garageband but none of this stuff was required. I plugged in a focusrite interface, plugged in my guitar, hit record and that was it.

As far as this setup:

I finally managed to delete soundflower.

But in Audio Midi setup, why, when I click "input", can't I set up the mic - and whatever output device Ill use for output when I click "output"?

There are selections for input...and for output. Why am I configuring a "playback engine" in ProTools for an input device? Where's the "input engine"???

But it's a moot point - Because to repeat ( for the third or fourth time!) I can't configure the Mackie USB mic as ANYTHING because it STILL isn't showing up - anywhere. No matter what port or cable I use.

And there is STLL no "I/O window" as shown in tutorials and videos.

How do I get te mic to appear in the Audio MIDI editor - *then* what do I do with it? Aggregate whatever is useless when there's nothing to "aggregate"!
You ARE needing to aggregate two devices - the USB mic for input and your Mac's audio output. Here's something I don't think was asked - are you sure the USB mic and your OSX version are compatible with each other? How about PT First and Big Sur?

QAPLA!
Old 08-21-2021, 12:49 PM

Default Can't find I/O for USB mic

Here you are saying that it is working.
Quote:
I have a Mackie
EM-91CU USB mic set up in the MacBook Pro midi Control center as the input device (and a pair of Mackie bluetooth monitors for output.)...

...I created an audio track to record on thru the USB mic, which appears as the input device in hardware setup...

...Anyway - right now I'd like to be able "turn the mic on". It works great in Audacity...
Here you are saying that it’s not working.
Quote:
But it's a moot point - Because to repeat ( for the third or fourth time!) I can't configure the Mackie USB mic as ANYTHING because it STILL isn't showing up - anywhere. No matter what port or cable I use.
What happened between it working and it not working?

If the mic shows up as an input device in Coreaudio, it can be added to any aggregate device that you create. Pro Tools on install puts the "Pro Tools Aggregate" device into the audio devices list. All you have to do is expand it and put check marks next to the I/O devices you want included in the aggregate device. You would also put a check mark in the "Resample/Drift Correction" box if you want to sample rate convert any of the individual devices included in the aggregate device. Naturally, devices you want to use like a usb mic or bluetooth speakers, have to be on, connected, and seen by Coreaudio before they can be added to an aggregate device.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 08-22-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
What happened between it working and it not working?

If the mic shows up as an input device in Coreaudio, it can be added to any aggregate device that you create. Pro Tools on install puts the "Pro Tools Aggregate" device into the audio devices list. All you have to do is expand it and put check marks next to the I/O devices you want included in the aggregate device. You would also put a check mark in the "Resample/Drift Correction" box if you want to sample rate convert any of the individual devices included in the aggregate device.
First - "...if you want to sample rate convert..." might as well be typed in Mongolian . PLEASE remember - or if you didn't read my ORIGINAL post, try to understand that I am a know-nothing, terminology non-functional, complete rank beginner. The very small amount of digital recording Idid myself consisted of plugging in a Focusrite interface ,Opening Garageband, opening a track, pressing record, starting the track - and recording.

No "engines". No sampling rates. No "aggregate".

But it's all irrelevant. After I took the advice here to remove Soundflower because it would "confuse things" the USB mic no longer appears; the Steinberg USB interface does not get sufficient power from any of the 4 USB-C/Thunderbolt ports, no matter what cable I use, after rebooting, trying dafe mode, resetting the SMC.

I was hesitant about removing something that I'd been advised was important for everything BUT ProTools.

So now I need to call Apple. Somehow removing Soundflower either reduced the voltage or current to the ports, or disabled them. The only devices that work are the external monitor and the MacBook Pro's charger.

So apparently the 2018 MacBook Pro itself now needs repair.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:53 AM

Soundflower is not an Apple required software for any device.

Removing it would not mess with any voltage whatsoever.

Having your MacBook Pro running on battery only would limit the amount of voltage to USB devices.

Make sure you have the power adapter plugged in and try again. Do not have both the USB mic and Interface plugged in at the same time. This could potentially limit the voltage available and needed for each device.

If you want further help please post a screen shot of your playback engine options in Pro Tools when you have the USB mic plugged in

You do not and will not need any drivers for the Mackie USB mic and when plugged in, you may need to allow it access in the OS security preferences in order for Pro Tools to see it.

If you would like some assistance over Zoom, PM me.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:37 AM

Maybe removing Soundflower was coincidental, but it's the ONLY thing that was done immediately before the Steinberg interface - and EVERY other bus-powered device - refused to connect.

Yes, it's plugged in and running on the power supply.

I spent 4 1/2 hours on the phone with Apple yesterday; 3 different techs and engineers had me do "deep dives" into the OS and none of t made sense - an alert popped up when the Steinberg was plugged in saying to unplug the devices drawing excessive power - which made NO sense, as it was the only thing plugged in; the power supply and batter check out fine; but no devices ever appear in system info's USB or Thunderbolt checks. We tried the Steinberg; my supposedly dead Focusrite; 2 new USB mics; an old (but previously working ) Alesis Multimix interface/mixer...

But a memory card reader worked fine. Go figure.

None of them had ever seen this before. The engineer finally had me run a specific system diagnostics report (that took about an hour to compile) and send it to them via a Dropbox-like Apple comm site.

They're supposed to call me today with either a) fixes to punch in or download, or b) tell me I'm screwed and set up an appointment at the local Apple Store to drop it off. And of course it's almost exactly one year out of warranty.....

Thanks for the help - Hopefully I'll have learned some ProTools related tricks in this thread that'll help me get going once the firmware or hardware issues are resolved.

I still rattle my pea-brain at terminology, though - like needing to set up *input* devices in a "playback engine". That's just....weird.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Maybe removing Soundflower was coincidental, but it's the ONLY thing that was done immediately before the Steinberg interface - and EVERY other bus-powered device - refused to connect.

Yes, it's plugged in and running on the power supply.

I spent 4 1/2 hours on the phone with Apple yesterday; 3 different techs and engineers had me do "deep dives" into the OS and none of t made sense - an alert popped up when the Steinberg was plugged in saying to unplug the devices drawing excessive power - which made NO sense, as it was the only thing plugged in; the power supply and batter check out fine; but no devices ever appear in system info's USB or Thunderbolt checks. We tried the Steinberg; my supposedly dead Focusrite; 2 new USB mics; an old (but previously working ) Alesis Multimix interface/mixer...

But a memory card reader worked fine. Go figure.

None of them had ever seen this before. The engineer finally had me run a specific system diagnostics report (that took about an hour to compile) and send it to them via a Dropbox-like Apple comm site.

They're supposed to call me today with either a) fixes to punch in or download, or b) tell me I'm screwed and set up an appointment at the local Apple Store to drop it off. And of course it's almost exactly one year out of warranty.....

Thanks for the help - Hopefully I'll have learned some ProTools related tricks in this thread that'll help me get going once the firmware or hardware issues are resolved.

I still rattle my pea-brain at terminology, though - like needing to set up *input* devices in a "playback engine". That's just....weird.

Before you pay them money, I’d try a full boot drive reformat and fresh OS install.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 08-23-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Before you pay them money, I’d try a full boot drive reformat and fresh OS install.
All good advice but we're dealing with someone who apparently knows almost nothing about computers or digital recording. He appears to be what we in the ham radio universe call an appliance operator

QAPLA!
Old 09-03-2021, 06:33 PM

Can you take a screen shot of your I/O settings Input page and post it on here with that mic setup as your playback engine?
Old 09-04-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
All good advice but we're dealing with someone who apparently knows almost nothing about computers or digital recording. He appears to be what we in the ham radio universe call an appliance operator
I'm FAR above that lever when it comes to computers, sir. As stated I just have little experience with digital recording and none with ProTools. Your insult was out of line.

FWIW after 2 weeks of dealing with senior advisors and engineers at Apple they determined - as I suggested to them early on - It's a hardware issue with the Mac. It's supplying incorrect voltage/current to the USB/Thunderbolt ports, so even devices ( like my Steinberg UR12), which can add USB power (for iPad use)do not get the correct voltage and current detection and fail to connect.

So it's going in to Apple for repair. Thank you all who tried to help. HOPEFULLY I can report back in a couple of weeks that the problem is solved.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:04 PM

Please no insults and if you feel provoked please ignore it.

For what it is worth, most of us do not understand how USB and microphone can fit into same sentence (oh, here I just did it). Always get to the source, ask help from the manufacturer of the device as there may be some incompatibilities with the driver.