Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2015, 04:55 PM

Default Resampling Entire Projects from 44.1 to 48kHz In PT11 speeds up during playback.

Hi all I am trying to determine the best way to re-sample my projects to 48kHz. Now why in the hell would i want to do that? The answer is that my new console is hard set at that rate for USB playback from my DAW. I recently replaced my TAC Scorpion +2 Audiofire 12s with a new A&H QU-32. It really is a wonderful board and I love it greatly enough to live with the silly decision of their hard coding the sample rate for that at 48kHz (and USB2.0 the idiots). I converted an entire session I wanted to rework and remix and the whole thing sounded fast during playback with a slight alvin and the chipmunks kinda vibe. It was really weird. If I just import current wav files from the tracks and re-sample during the conversion to the session rate there are no issues. However doing this I lose all the data and settings that were in the original mix for the track which I want to retain so I can manipulate and modify. Not to mention I dont want to have to spend all day nudging things into place. Has anyone else had an issue with converting entire sessions and it speeding up? Kinda sounds like a software bug. Newer sessions are fine but if I work with others over drop box it seems most folks work at 44.1 so this is going to be an ongoing issue working with collaborators. Help!

BTW I'm not super savvy on the ProTools 11 as I am still learning the ins and outs and tweaks so please forgive if something I say sounds silly or just plain wrong. Im working through ProTools ignite but an old brain can only retain so much so fast... Peter
Old 03-23-2015, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Resampling Entire Projects from 44.1 to 48kHz In PT11 speeds up during playback.

Its likely that you didn't actually convert, but instead, brought 44.1K audio into a 48K session(that would explain the faster/higher playback). I would create a new blank 48k session for each old session and import session data, and make sure you check the option for SRC(Sample Rate Conversion). I have done this many times with success(after the first time that failed). Big fan of Pro Tools, Ignite

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-23-2015, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Resampling Entire Projects from 44.1 to 48kHz In PT11 speeds up during playback.

In opposition to Albee , I would go at it from the other direction. Open a session you want to convert and use "save session copy" in the file menu. The save dialog then will give you the option of including all media and changing the sample rate with sample rate conversion.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-23-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
In opposition to Albee , I would go at it from the other direction. Open a session you want to convert and use "save session copy" in the file menu. The save dialog then will give you the option of including all media and changing the sample rate with sample rate conversion.
I think that is what I did originally but Ill have to try both methods and report back. Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:56 PM

Or do what I do. Convert outside of Pro Tools using SoX. I use a batch file to convert them. It's fast. I convert 30 files in less than 2 minutes. Very high quality as well.
JBL LSR-308 Monitors
Old 03-25-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
I have to do this all the time it seems for one reason or another. Never had a problem with this approach of using the save-as function to start a new project at a new sample rate. Works every time. I have read that PT automaticazlly does the dithering required too. So I don't do any dithering. Just save-as.

But Albee's method would be really good if you have already started the new project at the 'wrong' sample rate. I'm gonna remember that one actually.

ASUS PRIME Z390-A / Intel i7 rackmount PC
Windows 10 home 64 bit
Pro-Tools 11.3.1
AIR Instrument Expansion Pack v2
WAVES Platinum plugin bundle
Tascam US-16x08 Interface
100% Analog real time monitoring 16x4
Yamaha 16 channel MG16XU Analog Monitor Mixer
Yamaha MX-88 / Novation XiO keyboards
Mackie 4-channel headphone amp
Adam A8X monitors
Blue / Shure, etc. microphones

Estonia 6' 8" Parlor Grand Piano
Yamaha Studio Drum kit

https://www.dc-choppah.com/
Old 03-28-2015, 01:57 PM

Thanks all you guys have been super helpful and I really enjoyed reading what others said of the methods etc. I am going to be resampling some sessions this weekend. Allen and Heath just came out with another firmware update that sadly didnt remove the sample rate lock but it put in some nice features. Ill plan to do two versions of the same session and Ill report back what I think of each.

On another note I noticed a PT12 update and I dont really see any reason to upgrade on what it offered, especially that they are bundled with PT11. Anyone take a look at that? Just curious but it seems like an expensive whole lotta nothing and cloud stuff is interesting but dropbox is free.

Peter
Old 05-29-2015, 11:46 PM

Default Thank you all!

I experimented and finally went with Albees method of importing the session data. Thank you it sounds great again. I may still release the chipmunks edition and dedicate it to all of you though. Peter