Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-04-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Series of Questions?

Ok...I'm really stressed...

I am trying to plan out my future studio and am really stressing my mind on this. Here is the deal...I would obviously like a pro tools studio b/c thats what I'm used to and it is the industry standard so I could move my work around if needed. BUT...the hardware limitations are killing me! I want a big control surface with lots of faders to integrate COMPLETELY with pro tools, and I don't want to have to spend the money for a control 24. My only real option is the 002, but there are only 8 faders...i want more. I was thinking that I could use the TASCAM DM 4800, but as I was reading I found out it can only operate in something called HUI??? what is that and what does that mean as far as limitations? I want a pro tools le set up with lots of faders to control my work...how???

The only other option I can think of is buying Sonar software and greatly expanding my hardware options...but then I won't be working with pro tools will I...I guess I could do both...any suggestions???

I am mainly interested in this HUI mode thing??? I thought I could get the TASCAM DM 4800 and run it to the digi 002r or something via firewire and be able to control everything in protools through the tascam...but from what I have read...this is not possible.

thanks guys.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Series of Questions?

The first thing you should do is talk to someone at Tascam and unless you can get a phenomenal deal on a 002, buy a 003.

Tascam's site says it does work with ProTools as a control surafce, but check to be sure it will work with your hardware configuration. You won't be able to use it as a proper interface via firewire. The 002 and 003 only have a max of 18 inputs, but I don't think the DM-4800 has SPDIF, so you will only be able to use 16.

Btw, doesn't the DM-4800 list for like $6000, street price around $5000? Seems like a lot to spend on a control surface and what are liekly mediocre mic pre's.
http://www.tascam.com/Products/dm4800.html

According to Digi, it is not listed as "officially" supported. Only the Command8 and Control24 are. FYI, HUI stand for Human User Interface.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:47 PM

I have a similar issue here - one of my clients bought a 003, and a DM-4800.
He wants to use the 4800 as a control surface for PT LE.

I told him it was overkill, that he needed a lot less gear to do this, etc etc etc, but the guy wanted the 4800, and that's what he bought.

I suppose that he can use 8 of the 4800's mic pres into the 003 via lightpipe... and of course it can be used for gigs and things like that... but my immediate concern is using the DM-4800 to control ProTools.

Now... as mentioned above, the Tascam site SAYS that the DM-4800 is compatible as a control surface for PT, but the manual, which I have right in front of me, doesn't use the word "ProTools" ANYWHERE in the text. It does give instructions for using the DM-4800 as a control surface for Steinberg products, for Digital performer, Logic, Sonar, and as a generic HUI product. No mention of PT.

Anyone have insight on how to make this work?

Is the DM-4800 connected to the 003's MIDI ports, or do I use a USB cable to the Mac and then configure PT to receive control data this way?

I'm pretty savvy in these matters, I just need a starting point...

thanks

JT
Old 06-22-2007, 10:20 AM

To answer my own question, I heard back from someone at Tascam, who directed me to a document here:

http://www.tascam.com/Products/dm4800_downloads.html