Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 05:36 AM

Default Tablet for PT on OSX G4?

Can anyone recommend a tablet for use on a G4 OSX 10.2.8 with Pro Tools 6.1? I've had a great one from Wacom on my 9600 but that's ADB and now I suppose I need USB. If anyone is using one they like, I'd love to hear about it with a model number and price.
Thanks!
[email protected]
Old 09-01-2004, 06:25 AM

Default Re: Tablet for PT on OSX G4?

Wacom makes USB tablets. I don't use one, but I'm curious to know why and how you use one with PT? Is it better than a mouse?
Old 09-01-2004, 09:10 AM

Here's the deal.

I've been using a Wacom tablet with Pro Tools now for over 2 years.

A good friend turned me on to the tablet style. I am glad I listened to him and I never looked back.

Honestly, if you are not familiar with the interface, there is a bit of a learning curve - it can take up to 2 weeks to feel completely comfortable with the pen, especially across 2 monitors -- which can be a bit frustrating. But once you are comfortable (I'm actually typing this reply with my pen tucked between my fingers), wrist or hand fatigue will be a thing of the past. Using the pen on a smaller tablet like the 4x5 actually limits your wrist movement without sacrificing precision in Pro Tools. Unless you are a graphic designer who demands ultra-fine control over pixels, there is no need for a larger tablet that just takes up desk real estate and larger arm movements. Being in Post Production, I have worked a lot of truly long shifts on projects, and my wrist thanks me every time that I use a tablet.

Think about this:

-Literally drawing your automation on screen
-Drawing spikes out of waveforms.
-Drawing your Pan information for your multi-channel mix directly in the window (although this does behave a little weird since the tablet drivers are being pulled a bit differently ... I have talked to Wacom about this)
-Drawing your fades with complete precision.
-The Intuos tablets come with shortcut buttons that can be programmed to any key combination for Pro Tools shortcuts -- as well as the buttons on the Pen can also be programmed.

I actually have 2 Wacom USB Intuos 2 4x5 tablets that I use now.... 1 for Pro Tools and the other for my company PC. They read the same tool (pen and mouse) so I never have to switch mice.

The 4x5 Wacom Intuos 2 is retail $199, the 6x8 is retail $299. However, there area number of online retailers that sell them for a lot cheaper.

I hope I answered your questions. And of course, these are my opinions.

Cheers!
.:
naughty dog
Old 09-02-2004, 12:07 AM

I'm wondering if it's the same with the pen on my 9600 that when you try to change parameters, say, in a Waves plugin, you to touch the pen to the knob or slider and it flies to the extreme end of the adjustment. Then I have to put the pen down, grab the mouse (remember you could have both with adb, and make the adjustment with th emouse, then get the pen again and procede on with the session. You're right, we've held a pencil since we were little kids, nothing could be more natural and no chance of carpel tuunnel!
Thanks for your reply. I trying to get up the courage to try the pen on Premier Pro, but that program doesn't require near the finess tht Pro Tools Does.
Steve Garman
Old 09-02-2004, 07:50 AM

I also use the Wacom Intuos? tablet and have been using a tablet for about three years. My setup is all in one large room, so when I'm tracking I can't be hitting the keyboard or clicking a mouse. This has worked great for me as it quiet and my wrists love it as well. I have not had any problems at all.

Norm
Old 09-02-2004, 04:29 PM

Quote:
when you try to change parameters, say, in a Waves plugin
You are not the first person I heard complain about using the pen with a WAVES plug-in. I guess that means WAVES has a bug on their hands.

I've never used ScreenSound, but if you have, then you know what you can do with a pen. I work with people who used that system and feel at home with a pen.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:42 PM

I use a Waccom Intuos 2. It is so much quicker then a mouse, especially with two screens you can move to the other far side with a single slide over the tablet, while still being able to do precision work on a small piece of the screen. Indeed, there is a learning curve of appr 2 weeks, but after that you are happy. I find it much more comfortable then a mouse.

culprits:
Like said above: Waves. But if i shift click to open the plugin window and drag it to my left LCD screen it is fine. Now that is odd isn't it? Waves doesn't support tablets.
Surround panner, like said above, acts strange. It looks like it rolls like a ball, when i stop my mouse the cursor keeps going for some.
A click to open a plugin window is for some reason not doing the job most of the time.

You can still use the mouse next to the tablet. And for above situations i do.

But wow, dragging around regions over the screen is so much quicker with the pen!

Fokke.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:32 AM

When you are using the intous tablet for plug-ins or scrubbing, try switching into mouse mode (relative). You can set it so that one of the functions on your pen will toggle the modes. Same with the mouse that comes with the tablet - I have the right click set to toggle the modes. Seems to me that the plug-ins are looking for a relative change in position as opposed to an absolute position that the tablet gives.

The tablet is one of the best investments I have even made. I prefer the 6x8, that I map a little bit of the edges out, so that I never spend time hanging over the edge of the tablet.

The only problem that i have had with the tablet, is that the surface eventaully wears down and gets bumpy - I usually replace the tablet then (haven't looked into just replacing the surface - any ideas on this?)

Hope this helps.

Tom
Old 09-14-2004, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Wacom Citiq Interactive Tablets (Touchsceen)

I''ve been using the 18" Wacom Citiq for 4 months now and the thing is UNBELIEVABLE for controlling ProTools. I don't regret selling my C24 and going console-free, controlling all functions of PT directly ON-SCREEN. I got it with the Partner tablet to control my second monitor. It takes a few hours to get used to using it but soon enough becomes so integrated with you ergonomically, that using a physical mouse, knob or fader becomes strange. I can also confirm some bugginess controlling Waves Plug-ins with the Patrner, but only in "pen mode" not "mouse- mode". No problems with the Cintiq and Waves. I would encourage EVERYONE using PT to check it out. It makes the concept of using a standard Digi or other controller totally obsolete. You could even use it with a small third-party controller (Mackie, JL Cooper etc.) for fader automation writes, although I don't even find that necessary with the Cintiq. I don't have any financial connection with Wacom whatsoever, I just love the thing and believe it's what the future of media application control will be all about.
http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/index_18sx.cfm