Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-01-2021, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Is there a way to expand HD Omni to have 13 channels (7.2.4) for Dolby Atmos mixi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focuret View Post
I was going to go the Mtrx Studio route but wanted to know if there was a cheaper solution. Like maybe adding an old 192?
The Focusrite Red 8 Pre and Red 16 Line interfaces all both 16 line level outputs and have been widely used for Atmos set ups for the last couple of years. They are also quite a bit less expensive than the MRTX Studio. The Red 8 Pre is almost identical to the MRTX Studio in terms of I/O, and even new is much less expensive than the MRTX Studio. If you can find one on Focusrite's refurbished site, you'll save even more.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 09-08-2021, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Is there a way to expand HD Omni to have 13 channels (7.2.4) for Dolby Atmos mixi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
The Focusrite Red 8 Pre and Red 16 Line interfaces all both 16 line level outputs and have been widely used for Atmos set ups for the last couple of years. They are also quite a bit less expensive than the MRTX Studio. The Red 8 Pre is almost identical to the MRTX Studio in terms of I/O, and even new is much less expensive than the MRTX Studio. If you can find one on Focusrite's refurbished site, you'll save even more.
What's the actual difference between the 8 Pre and 16 Line? Does the 8 have 8 inputs for mics while the 16 doesn't or? The only inputs I need is a single microphone and a guitar.

Quick edit: I just recently heard Rob Burrell saying he connects his Marantz receiver to his Red 16. Do you know how I would go about doing this so that I can essentially easily "switch" from studio mode to home theater mode with the Apple TV, Playstation, Shield TV, etc.??

I feel like I'm very close to knowing how to accomplish what I'm trying to do but keep taking 2 steps back for every one step forward. Argh.
Avid Artist Transport | Genelec 8351b Monitors | Genelec 7360A Subwoofer x2 | Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone