Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2009, 07:52 AM

Default AD Expansion card or ADAT interface?

I've got an HD 2|Accel system with a single standard 192 I/O. I'd obviously like to expand so that I've got 16 analog in's and wanted to know peoples opinions on what is the best route to take.

1. I could buy the additional AD card to fit in the open slot on the back of my 192... brand new cost is $1295, I can probably get one for close to if not less than $1000 new via routes such as ebay etc... main problem is that I've currently only got 12 good mic pre's so I'd also need to buy at least 4 more to get the full 16 in use.

2. I could buy an ADAT interface to use those in's on my 192 instead... problem is there don't seem to me to be that many on par quality wise with the 192's. I've heard good things about the original Focusrite OctoPre's and Saffire Liquid 56's... any other interface's I should check out? A friend recommended I look into presonus. Pro's of this route are that its more than likely going to be a cheaper route than #1 but I also don't want to sacrifice quality (something that works at least at 88.2/96k is essential) and don't want to have constant compatibility/clocking issues.

My budget for this is about $2000.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm looking forward to learning a great wealth of info from the DUC.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:37 AM

Default Re: AD Expansion card or ADAT interface?

. "main problem is that I've currently only got 12 good mic pre's so I'd also need to buy at least 4 more to get the full 16 in use. "

How often would you ever need to use 16 simultaneous mic pre's?

If I were you, I would get a Lynx Aurora.
Sell the 192. You'll come in way under your budget.

Just a thought.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keevhren View Post
I've got an HD 2|Accel system with a single standard 192 I/O. I'd obviously like to expand so that I've got 16 analog in's and wanted to know peoples opinions on what is the best route to take.

1. I could buy the additional AD card to fit in the open slot on the back of my 192... brand new cost is $1295, I can probably get one for close to if not less than $1000 new via routes such as ebay etc... main problem is that I've currently only got 12 good mic pre's so I'd also need to buy at least 4 more to get the full 16 in use.

2. I could buy an ADAT interface to use those in's on my 192 instead... problem is there don't seem to me to be that many on par quality wise with the 192's. I've heard good things about the original Focusrite OctoPre's and Saffire Liquid 56's... any other interface's I should check out? A friend recommended I look into presonus. Pro's of this route are that its more than likely going to be a cheaper route than #1 but I also don't want to sacrifice quality (something that works at least at 88.2/96k is essential) and don't want to have constant compatibility/clocking issues.

My budget for this is about $2000.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm looking forward to learning a great wealth of info from the DUC.
Keep in mind that the ADAT connections on the 192 digital card (not enclosed) are 48k max (8 channels) You can SRC to 96k while recording though. The Digimax FS has worked well for me, and gives you 8 more analog outs (for cues, etc)... The preamps are fair at best. I also have the octopre, and between the onboard compressors and the heat generated,,,, it sits alone in the corner. SB
Old 12-28-2009, 02:03 AM

Ive honestly considered the Lynx Aurora approach and if i can find a good deal one one/sell my 192 for a decent amount then I'd love to take that approach. They sound great and are pretty hassle free from all I've read on them.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:42 AM

Yeah but you could pick up the A/D card about $800 from a dealer and then throw $1200-1400 to API for a pair of pre's in a bucket - the bucket they'll throw you free with purchase of two 512's. Then you can put more in later, have the 16 AD in the 192, no clocking issues. No sudden new interface issues. No sh*tty pre's that you'll end up selling anyway (anythng presonus, anything 'Octopre', etc).
Old 12-28-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookerv12 View Post
How often would you ever need to use 16 simultaneous mic pre's? Just a thought.
We do have variable needs; I for example need at least 32 simultaneous inputs 95% of the time I'm tracking...
Old 12-28-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
Yeah but you could pick up the A/D card about $800 from a dealer and then throw $1200-1400 to API for a pair of pre's in a bucket - the bucket they'll throw you free with purchase of two 512's. Then you can put more in later, have the 16 AD in the 192, no clocking issues. No sudden new interface issues. No sh*tty pre's that you'll end up selling anyway (anythng presonus, anything 'Octopre', etc).
Good advice. The Digimax is used mainly for its outputs, except I do send the talkback and listen mics through it into an aux. The preamps are not great... (but I have heard some great cd's cut through a control 24.. using good mics.)
The 192 is flexible in a lot of ways regarding i/o// inserts. I got an extra a/d card for 850.00
The "bucket" (lunchbox) is a great way to go. I started with that.. but watch out, the 500 series gets addictive..two 500v racks later.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:04 AM

Beware - Bailey's right - they do get addictive!!! And I've used the presonus for talkback - by far it's best application! (I know, I'm a snot). But those 500 series are built for the long haul - I believe they will out-live all of our converters.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:04 PM

all great advice... ideally i'd love to keep expanding down the road so am going to stick with the 192 approach right now with the additional A/D card. For now I'll be doing drums for the first 10-12 inputs then scratch guitars/bass on the others, then just overdub. I'll be stoked when I can record everything live at the same time in the future though. It was definitely a major plus while I was working in LA.

also @ Sean Russell, just noticed you're at Cue in Nova. Very cool, I kind of know Rob who works there, we went to high school together. Small world here in audio!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:16 AM

There are many options, obviously I deal with just about every one you can imagine---and have come up with others that may not be so "hey here I am" type of situations. It really does come down to budget and what you need, but also where you see yourself LONGTERM. In my personal studio I do have the 192I/O with the AD option, but I also have plenty of killer micpres. Remember that just because a micpre has a digital output doesn't mean it's better----THERE HAS TO BE A CONVERTER SOMEWHERE. Those Digimax units from Presonus certainly are a great value in terms of a quality pre with converter, but the reality is that the 192AD option just smokes it! I do have a DigimaxLT w/a 96I/O for my live rig using the ADAT Optical output into the 96I/O. For that scenario, it works and sounds juuuuust fine.

DO get the 192AD, then save that money left over and apply it towards some good pres. I have a Focusrite ISA828 that I dedicate to drums, amazing unit. Now they do make an A/D card that is killer for a lot less than the Digi card, but the 192AD really is a more convenient option when you start dealing with other pres and patching.