Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-23-2008, 02:30 PM

Default Installing Protools HD on bootcamp Windows XP

I did that on my macbook pro and works great with Protools LE and windows XP (at home)

but in the studio on a macpro with HD3 I got problems with PCI... windows doesnt startup anymore after installing protools HD 7.2 - there is a black screen and written that some problems with PCI happened

anybody knows how to install protools HD on mac pro / windows XP with success?

thx
Old 01-24-2008, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Installing Protools HD on bootcamp Windows XP

anyone knows how to solve the PCI problem? do I have to install additional stuff for PCI?

thx
Old 01-24-2008, 04:15 AM

I can't really help with your specific problem, but 7.4 is working well here on XP on the new Jan 2008 Mac Pro. I just installed it normally. The only downside is that XP on the Mac Pro will only see 2 gigs of ram (odd since it will see more on a MacBook Pro). Perhaps there is a difference between 7.2 and 7.4 drivers? You could try booting into Windows Safe mode and removing ProTools / Drivers, and then try again? Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:20 AM

Hi,

Well first off, are you using Windows XP Professional (SP2) and fully patched? If so, next question is 7.2 is quite old, and I would suggest upgrading to 7.4 or at at least 7.3(cs5).

Im using a first generation mac pro dual 3.0 (4GB ram) with HD3 PCI-e, and it works with windows XP using bootcamp, i have a dedicated hard drive for this purpose.

To be honest, running it on mac is way better, OSX itself is much better, so personally i think its pointless exercise to run a session in windows. I know 100% i can run all day(night) sessions in 7.4 on OSX tiger ... rock solid. Cant say the same under windows ....

-- Craig
Old 01-24-2008, 08:29 AM

so the right way to go is install windows XP (yeah I have sp2!) and then install all the drivers from jaguar dvd and after that install protools right?
do I have to install anything else from the web? any additional drivers?

thx a lot for your help on that
Old 01-24-2008, 09:21 AM

i would do it in these steps,

- install you windows XP (check out the forums.macrumors.com for million threads on how to do bootcamp/XP the best way, aka custom build, pre-patched disks etc)
- patch it, service pack it
- verify all hardware is correctly working under "device manager", no yellow "!" exclamation marks, if you dont install all the correct drivers for the system you may having lots of these, you may have missing devices. Bootcamp, makes a windows XP driver disk, best driver disk is made by the leopard dvd, it has all the latest drivers for windows XP. Its like any PC, you need get all the correct drivers, for chipset, devices ....
- Verify all you HD PCE-e are reporting in device manager.
- install latest protools
- reboot and away you go, light a cigar.
oops final step
- put anti-virus, anti-spyware, on it straight away.

-- craig
Old 01-25-2008, 02:02 AM

Quote:
i would do it in these steps,

- install you windows XP (check out the forums.macrumors.com for million threads on how to do bootcamp/XP the best way, aka custom build, pre-patched disks etc)
- patch it, service pack it

-- craig
could you explain a bit? how do you mean custom build and pre-patched disks? i was on macrumours and didnt find anything really about that
I have the jaguar dvd and windows XP with sp2 on another dvd

thx
Old 01-25-2008, 05:00 AM

I managed to install XP and all drivers but as I have a hardware conflict on all PCI cards and bridges... I tried to update the driver but still got hardware conflict - how can I find the right drivers?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:56 AM

anyone a tip how to find the right PCIe drivers for windows XP?