Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2021, 05:37 PM

Default Is it worth keeping PT10?

He all,
Just need a few opinions please.

Is it worth reinstalling a laptop back to win 7 to run Protools 10 as to keep my old Control 24 in service? Or even dual boot?

I have made a change to a different DAW after 25 years for various reasons and can’t find myself leaving the 24.

As I’ve never run pt on a laptop I figure I can use pt 10 that from all accounts is pretty stable, can still use vst and can run my control 24.

I probably won’t use it as my main system but is it worth a try? Most of my sessions are only 20-30 tracks so it shouldn’t struggle too much.

Just thoughts, I’m not easily offended :)
Old 10-14-2021, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Is it worth keeping PT10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajazzie View Post
can’t find myself leaving the 24
seems you answered your own question
Old 10-14-2021, 11:26 PM

To keep your Control|24 alive, take a look at this, and try the demo.
https://neyrinck.com/v-control-pro/

I recommend it highly, and I have no affiliation with the company. The company owner Paul Neyrinck is very responsive with technical help.
My Pro Control works with Pro Tools 2021.7, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live, and many others.
With Logic I even get an 8-character scribble strip (dunno how they managed that one), but Pro Tools is only 4 characters. Meters, Faders, Mutes, Solos, Transport, all work perfectly - albeit with a slight reduction in fader-resolution for Pro Tools.
The Pro Control button quality and layout is still second to none, and makes many modern control surfaces look like a joke - particularly some of the modern Avid offerings such as the S3 with truly absurd design elements as Select & Record Arm Buttons between faders (I kid you not)

Last edited by Tweakhead; 10-15-2021 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
To keep your Control|24 alive, take a look at this, and try the demo.
https://neyrinck.com/v-control-pro/

I recommend it highly, and I have no affiliation with the company. The company owner Paul Neyrinck is very responsive with technical help.
My Pro Control works with Pro Tools 2021.7, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live, and many others.
With Logic I even get an 8-character scribble strip (dunno how they managed that one), but Pro Tools is only 4 characters. Meters, Faders, Mutes, Solos, Transport, all work perfectly - albeit with a slight reduction in fader-resolution for Pro Tools.
The Pro Control button quality and layout is still second to none, and makes many modern control surfaces look like a joke - particularly some of the modern Avid offerings such as the S3 with truly absurd design elements as Select & Record Arm Buttons between faders (I kid you not)
^^^ this ^^^ The Pro Control is a great control surface.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-16-2021, 07:54 AM

Thanks all.
Great advice. I just downloaded the latest pt trial along with v pro control.

Sort of a godsend for me and even this latest version of protools seems snappy,
If only I could sort my vst plugs????

Is that still possible???

Thanks again!!!!
Old 10-16-2021, 08:56 AM

What VST plugins do you have that are not available as AAX64? In any case, BlueCat's Patchwork and MB7 can both host VST's

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-23-2021, 05:51 PM

To all.. Thank you!!

An update of what I’ve done if anyone is thinking of the same things or in the same position I was and really concerned/ confused.

I have upgraded to the latest Protools and V pro control.

The system was a little buggy for the first couple of days until I tweaked it and now I’m back where I was in the land of happy and feeling it’s stable
The Control 24 is back and although a few features are not there fully you kinda don’t notice as it’s very close to how it was. If you are not sure about V Pro Control try the demo but be sure it’s the fully functioning demo and the old surface comes back from the dead. I only wish digi/ avid had done it.

As for my plug-ins I have used Metaplugin and I am back to normal. That was a dilemma as I have some rare type plugs that probably most would find useless or unseen yet I’ve found simple ways in 25 years to make things work for me and quite possibly created chains that although are non conventional just work.

My system is running off a laptop on Windows, can’t believe I left Mac but it’s working well, the 32 ram helps or should I say is the only way to go if you want to stabilise this for bigger sessions.

I have opened old sessions with 40 or so tracks that contain a lot of plugs and they although are not massive they are stable and snappy.

I still have a copy of Reaper which I use, that said after all my dislikes with the way Avid is going I am so happy I’m still on protools as my main.

It’s difficult to make the switch to reaper although it is really quite unbelievable how it runs. I have the control 24 working with that too
Once I got this set up it was really like falling back into my comfort zone.

So there the update.
Thanks for the help everyone, Its been a nuts year or so working which piece is compatible with this and that though I’ve got there in the end.

:)
Old 10-25-2021, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the follow-up ajazzie !
We rarely get that here, and it's nice to hear that something worked out.

You might wanna check out this freebie opensource software too, to expand the capabilities of your system (if you have a spare computer):
https://audiogridder.com/
Old 10-26-2021, 08:00 AM

Tweakhead
Thanks for the kind words.

This looks like a very interesting concept by using second machines.
I’ll be sure to follow this to see where it goes. I used to do similar things with a drawing program years ago, Linux was my choice back then and was kinda amazing on old pentiums.

Shows my age 😂

You’ve been on this forum about the same time as I have. It’s changed for sure.

Good to see a familiar vintage.

Take care. 🙂

Aj