How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 AM

Default PT9 teething problems

Hi all,
Im currently on my second week of using pt9 and seem to having no end of troubles since crossgrading.Heres a list of frustrating problems iam hitting so far.If anybody can help me, plz let me know what iam doing wrong.

note: Iam running sessions that worked fine on PTMP 8.4!!

Issues

Cpu error when only using 3 (compatable) rtas
Random distortion noises while recording after 20 seconds
m audio 2626 inputs 1/2 are replaced by built-in input 1/2
-6101 error when trying to bounce

Macbook pro 13" (10.6.6)
2,26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
1TB FWHD
M Audio 2626
Old 02-15-2011, 02:41 PM

Exclamation Re: PT9 teething problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiwave View Post
2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Mac OS X requires 1GB of RAM.

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=380535
  • Total System RAM: 2GB minimum, 4GB or more recommended
You may need to install more RAM. You have the minimum, and that's probably only going to work if you have no other applications active while using Pro Tools. Installing more RAM is not going to hurt your situation.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:45 PM

Default Re: PT9 teething problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiwave View Post
Hi all,
m audio 2626 inputs 1/2 are replaced by built-in input 1/2
You have the wrong playback engine selected. You are using the Pro Tools aggregate I/O, which is not supported when using anything other than the Mac's built-in inputs and outputs.

Buy more RAM.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz76 View Post
You are using the Pro Tools aggregate I/O, which is not supported when using anything other than the Mac's built-in inputs and outputs.
Not exactly... Aggregate is for linking multiple interfaces together to read as one "Aggregate I/O" in Pro Tools. Whether or not you use the internal hardware is completely optional. Reading up on this feature is a good idea, but you are correct in that selecting it can mess up your routing if you're expecting to use only one interface.

More RAM is always good.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 02-15-2011, 11:10 PM

Aggregate I/O is not selected on hardware, it shows profire 2626 yet in my track mixer its showing built-in I/O for input 1/2 then 3 to 26 on my profire.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:16 AM

I'll wager this is just the name of the path in the I/O setup. Unless you reset this (either on startup or in the setup->I/O menu), it will have that name until you change it.

The name of the path has nothing to do with the actual output being used. For example, I could name the output path for outputs 11-12 "George" and when I go to assign a track's output, I would see "George" in the dropdown instead of ""Output 11-12"
Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Not exactly... Aggregate is for linking multiple interfaces together to read as one "Aggregate I/O" in Pro Tools. Whether or not you use the internal hardware is completely optional. Reading up on this feature is a good idea, but you are correct in that selecting it can mess up your routing if you're expecting to use only one interface.
Sure. But... not in Pro Tools 9. From the FAQ:

Q: Does Pro Tools 9 Support Aggregate Audio Devices in Mac OS X? (FAQ added 12/1/2010)

A: Mac OS X device aggregation of audio I/O hardware is not officially supported in Pro Tools 9. While certain configurations may work, they were not tested and qualified by the Pro Tools development team. The only exception to this rule is the "Pro Tools Aggregate Device" that is created upon launching Pro Tools to provide users of built-in Mac hardware with simultaneous record and playback capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAnderson View Post
I'll wager this is just the name of the path in the I/O setup. Unless you reset this (either on startup or in the setup->I/O menu), it will have that name until you change it.
Good thinking. Probably right.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 AM

I too received poor performance results with my crossgrade install (essentially a fresh install - ie. no previous version of PT on the machine). I couldn't throw many plugs on without overload errors ... my fix was to read the link in Avid customer support around machine setup. I unistalled Pro Tools. I set up a new admin account on my machine with pretty much everything off (Airport, bluetooth etc.) and no 'bells and whistles' software. I installed Pro Tools on that account, and I've had no probs. Prior to this my machine would crash around 30%, easily. Since that fix I have run up to 60% System Usage!! (At that level I do need to move the engine to 1024) RAM will also help (I increased mine up to 6GB, go at least 4GB).

hope that helps!

---------------------------------------

PT9
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 6GB RAM
Digi 002R
MOTU 896
Apogee Duet
Mbox 2
Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 AM

You might check the rights of your preference folder in the library folder of your system. "everyone" should be "read and write". PT can have troubles when "everyone" is on "read only".
Old 02-16-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post

More RAM is always good.
Not exactly also. It can also be for anything on the Mac not just Pro Tools. I default to my Aggregate on start up, so it works with safari and Itunes. In fact any sound on the computer (except alerts) comes out my Focusrite Saffire 56. I do not have any on the Mac internal sound ins and outs as part of my Aggregate. I do not have a lick of trouble. If my Saffire is off it will default to the headphone jack as the output. As soon as the Saffire is booted, the OS changes to it automatically.
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive