Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2012, 03:52 PM

Default worried about PT HD2 8.1

i start to be seriously worried about my HD2 version 8.1 no crash and all plug doing very fine. should i upgrade to version 10? 99% of musicians don't even differences between PT Le PT HD or Native or HDX, they just cares about prices. they don't care if their music is recorded with Reaper or PT HD x or Y
anyone notice a remarkable growing up in studio business with an upgrade?
Old 05-28-2012, 06:34 PM

Default Re: worried about PT HD2 8.1

you will not make anymore money than you already make now....but avid considers you a "hobbiest" regardless of your income..... so..not more dough
but you can advertise as "state of the art"...well..kinda...for another couple of months

Old 05-28-2012, 07:45 PM

Don't mess with a stable system. Unless there's something you have to have in the new version, I would say to stay with what works. Pt10hd does have some good features that you might benefit from, but it sounds like you aren't having any problems getting your work done. I was still running my old mix system until 2009.... I was on the bleeding edge for a while but I haven't really changed anything with my setup for almost 2 years, I'm stil on pt9 and snow leopard, and will probably "hold fast" for a while.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 05-30-2012, 02:17 PM

Same as Bonfi. I am in HD 8.1.1 and OS X 10.6.8. Smooth ride. Not considering upgrading unless upgrade prices come down or most importantly until all bugs regarding handles, clip gain automation and Audiosuite rendering have been sorted. If this is happens in PT 11 HD then I am out of luck and my HD2 system will be stack in the past.

I got Protools 10 when I purchased my Eleven Rack. Installed it on an old Macbook Pro. Fired it up a couple of times when I had to convert a Protools 10 session to 8.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:29 PM

THE ONLY THING that would make you even consider upgrading would be the Disk Cache features. So if you're hard on storage i/o capacity and have lots of memory (3GB plus session size) then using PT10HD you could load the entire session data into RAM and everything will be blazing fast.

Other than that, PT8.1HD w/heat has everything.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:46 AM

I know the disk cache option, it's supposed to be a saving time feauture, session load fast etc: but talking bout time: when you upgrade to a new PT version it takes ages to upgrading plug, lot of Avid plugs needs to be upgrating too and it's more and more money. version 10 it's a little step in order to go 64 bit with probably better feautures, but lots of users will throw in the bin:
command 8, C 24, 192 in & out, and don't forget most of people will need a new mac (we even don't know if Apple will come out with a new mac pro or not)
i bought my HD2 sistem two years ago and it worth 1 third of the price now?
when i ordered it arrives 5 month after i paid the amount, i got damaged with this, i paid then 10 month to get version 8 running smoothly
Old 06-03-2012, 01:59 AM

As I said, IMO, the only thing that justifies upgrade from 8.1 to 10 would be the disk cache feature. otherwise they're pretty much equal. sure, pt10 can handle the new AAX plugins but for HD hardware they're useless (native only = RTAS).

I would keep 8.1 if I didn't very much love the disc cache feature :)
Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
As I said, IMO, the only thing that justifies upgrade from 8.1 to 10 would be the disk cache feature. otherwise they're pretty much equal. sure, pt10 can handle the new AAX plugins but for HD hardware they're useless (native only = RTAS).

I would keep 8.1 if I didn't very much love the disc cache feature :)
and clip gain IMO. Those two are tough to give up once you've experienced them.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:05 AM

I am running my sessions on a 120GB Intel SSD, and that gets me the disc cache feature for $150! Works fine with the 'ol G5,

Jeff
Old 06-03-2012, 08:08 AM

+1 on the clip gain. Also, I think that the OP is confusing Disk Cache with DSP Cache. Just for clarities sake Disk Cache is the feature that loads the entire session's audio files into RAM. It has nothing to do with faster load times.