Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2002, 11:43 AM

Default Quick question

Hey folks,

I have seen a few posts about motherboard/CPU/Digi001 configs. I don't want to rudely jump into anyone elses thread, so, here is mine... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I am considering the following config for a DIGI 001.

I included the links in case anyone wanted them...

MOTHERBOARD:
Asus P4PE/GL 845PE P4 (533FSB) Skt478 DDR ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, Serial ATA

http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=240269

PROCESSOR:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Processor (Northwood) 2.4GHz, 533MHz FSB, Socket 478

http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...ductCode=80646

I probably don't need the audio card option, however, it may come in handy.

Will this perform well with the DIGI 001? I really want to get a system that is as trouble free as possible (as we all do)

I do appreciate everyone's help. I have been posting in regards to the system I work on at the university studio I manage but, I am looking to get my own set-up in January.

Thanks very much,
Tony
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2002, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Quick question

That sounds like an excellent choice for the Digi 001. I am using an Asus P4B266 with a P4 1.7. My system uses the 845D chipset. It was the easiest Digi 001 sytem I've ever set up, and I've set up a few. P4 systems with Intel chipsets, while not always as powerful as Athlon systems, are very stable and easy to configure for the Digi 001. With the faster Front Side Bus and Northwood processor, this system should scream compared to mine!

I'd say go for it, unless you're inclined to hunt around a bit and possibly look into a less expensive and possibly better performing Athlon based system. I'd point you to a link to a thread on the DUC where very well tested Athlon specs are laid out, but that section of the DUC is down at the moment. If you're curious, later when the DUC is fully functioning you could look for "Best system for under $900" or the "Allen system".

But if you want to stick with Intel, I'd say you've made an excellent choice.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 12-05-2002, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the reply QuickDraw..

You said an AMD set-up may be more stable and cheaper as well? What would you reccomend from AMD?

Anyway, thanks again,
Tony
Old 12-05-2002, 12:40 AM

When the DUC for windows LE works again, look for the "best system for $800" thread. I just built that machine and it smokes! It wasn't exactly easy, but once I got it going, it is flawless...learned a bunch, too
Old 12-06-2002, 08:22 AM

Well, since the Windows section is still read-only I am not sure if I can search it for the reccomended topic.

However, concerning configs does this one sound good?

Motherboard:
ASUS A7V8XA SA, KT400, DDR, 8XAGP ,A/L, ATX

Processor:
AMD Athlon XP 2400 2.0gig

Also, AS long as I have enough RAM do I need an AMD processor this fast? What is everyone's opinions on an AMD Athlon XP CPU to RAM ratio?

Thanks again for everyone's advice... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Tony
Old 12-06-2002, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tonyharp:
Thanks for the reply QuickDraw..

You said an AMD set-up may be more stable and cheaper as well? What would you reccomend from AMD?

Anyway, thanks again,
Tony
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I did not say that AMD may be more stable. I don't think it is possible to find a more stable system than my P4. It is rock solid. It never crashes. What I did say is that the AMDs might perform better. In other words, you might get more instances of plug-ins with an AMD than with a P4. Here are a couple of threads where you can research those claims.

Best System for Digi001 and 002 for under $900.00

The above thread spells out the most tested system in existence for the Digi 001. Thousands of people use and love their system based on these specs. You really only need to look at the very first post since it is constantly updated with current information and current components.

PT Performance

The above thread compares the relative performance of many different system configurations. Read the first post in the thread to get an idea of what the test is, then skip to the last 4 pages or so to see the relative performance of more recent systems. It's an old thread, so the first several pages are based on PIII and pre-thunderbird AMD systems--kind of irrelevant for today. The later pages do have current systems though.

The performance gap is narrowing, and some P4 systems have actually started outperforming some AMD systems. Both types of systems can be totally stable, but it is undeniable that the Intel systems are more expensive. Hopefully you'll use the information in the above links to research what's available, and make an informed decision.

At the time I posted this, the "Best system" link was sitll unavailable. I suggest that you wait until it can be accessed. I cannot advise you on AMD system components because my experience is only in Intel based systems. The system recommended in that link is proven, and I really think you need to reference it if you are considering an AMD system.

Good luck!

Mike
Old 12-07-2002, 12:11 AM

Thanks Mike,

I appreciate the time....

Tony
Old 12-09-2002, 09:44 AM

Tony,

I just thought I'd let you know that the DUC has been restored, so the links I posted above now function. I highly recommend that you check out the "Best System" thread linked in my above post.

Mike
Old 12-09-2002, 10:07 PM

Thanks Mike!!!

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

T-