Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2003, 03:30 PM

Default HELP PLEASE! I think I fried my Mac.....

ok, i'm running PTLE (MBox) on an iMac DV special edition that i bought in late '99. i haven't used it for anything other than video and audio work. i've got the ram maxed out to 528 and i'm using an external 80 gig firewire drive. oh yeah, i'm using OS 9.2.2. i think that pretty much covers everything.

i've run into a problem that i suspect was caused by me constantly swapping a USB port between my MBox and my printer (to make CD labels.) i always shut the computer down first before switching devices, but sometimes when i turn the computer back on, nothing happens--i get a blank gray screen. then i have to unplug the computer and plug it back in, then it works, and usually recognizes that i've switched USB devices. i've been doing that for a few months now with no real problems.

but the other day when i unplugged it (cuz it was the only way to turn the frozen thing off) and turned it back on i got a message on my desktop that i had damaged the OS 9 hard drive. it said to use a "disk repair program." around this same time, the Mac started making this LOUD ticking sound every time it was trying to process something. i swear it sounds like the thing is a ticking time bomb that will exlode at any second and leave me screwed with no computer and no way to record. the last time i tried to run PT, it started ticking really badly while it was finding all the files for the session, and that's when the message came up that there was damage done to my hard drive. i couldn't use PT and now every time i try to shut the computer down, it freezes when i click on "SPECIAL."

i don't know much about computers at all, let alone what to do about my hard drive. basically i'm lost and scared to turn the thing back on

anyone know what the problem is and what i can do to fix it?
Old 06-21-2003, 04:32 PM

Default Re: HELP PLEASE! I think I fried my Mac.....

run norton utilities by inserting the norton disc and then boot holding the c key down' run disc doctor then repair it' you mat want to defrag using speed disc also' hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:07 PM

Do you still have the system disks that came with the Mac? I don't even think you need norton. start it up pressing the C key. Click on disk first aid. and let it run.

If that doesn't work hola back.

Wiz
Old 06-21-2003, 05:12 PM

A clicking sound usually means a dead or dying hard drive. If you can get it up and running and all, quickly backup your data to another drive (like your firewire drive) and look into getting the drive inside your mac replaced.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:23 PM

Slim speaks the truth! If you get it breathing, back up your data. It sounds like your hard drive is not long for this world.

Charlie.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:28 AM

I would get diskWarrior ASAP.

I used Norton, and it distored and improperly repaired many files.

Back up, or regret it...ASAP

Q--You only use 1 drive?? Amazing...2 drives not only allows you to enjoy much improved performance, but you can have a system folder on both drives, and back up to each....Get another 2 drives...Western Digital 8 MB Cashe 7200's are Fabulous, with a Rebate... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12