Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-15-2007, 05:27 AM

Default MAC BOOK or MAC BOOK PRO?

Hello, i want to buy a Mac Laptop and M-box to have portable studio-Pack.

I´m wondering if to buy a Mac Book (2 GHZ) or the Pro, concerning Processor and Ram, because in price is a big difference...

Other question: I heard that Pre-amps of the M-BOX 1 are better than M-BOX 2, is that true?

I will apreciate any help.

CHEERS
Old 04-15-2007, 06:54 AM

Default Re: MAC BOOK or MAC BOOK PRO?

Hi!

Here are some general infos:

1) use at least 1.5 GB RAM -from point of view- a "must have" for ProTools ... remember the upgrade price for the MacBook... The MacBook Pro comes with 2 GB

2) I had an MacBook before - I switched to an 17" MacBook and feels way faster. However, I had less RAM in the MacBook so I can't say exactly how much faster it is. Anyway: it is unbelievable fast and very responsive... - if I count plugins: about 110 DVerbs or 80 SSL Channelstrips with 65% CPU load. The plugin power of my MacBook Pro + Mbox Pro + Music Production Toolkit is at least the same as my HD3 ACCEL + G4 1,42 system if I use only TDM plugins with it - pretty frustrating... Slowly computers are getting really competitive for HD systems ... but this is another discussion...

3) screen size: working on a small MacBook screen isn't much fun - ProTools needs some more space... 15", better 17" - or an external display. The MacBook screen could be a little brighter...

4) even DIGIDESIGN doesn't recommend it: you can work on the road on the internal HD. Of course, if you need some virtual instruments and a lot of tracks you need external drives. I recommend to use fast FW800 drives, but you can't connect them to a MacBook (it has no FW800 connection - the MacBook Pro has one). I bought two G-Raid MINI drives - THER ARE REALLY SMALL AND REALLY FAST - but really expensive. There are the LaCie Mini's as well, but the quality of G-Raids is more "pro". One drive I connect via FW 800 (samples/instruments), the other one via USB2 (songs). I'm going to buy an FW800 ExpressCard for the USB2 connected drive. Again: the express card slot comes exclusively with the MacBook Pro. If you need just one drive you can use the G-RAID firewire-bus-powered - very handy (the bus powered connection doesn't work with USB2 or the FW-ExpressCard). I purchased a big Crumpler Photographer backpack with resizeable pockets (for the disks etc.)... again expensive but perfect for a complete highend mobile studio.

Regards

Marc
Old 04-16-2007, 11:03 AM

Hey! Thanks for the info... i will see my budget then decide what to do, thanks again

SEBI
Old 04-16-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
you can work on the road on the internal HD. Of course, if you need some virtual instruments and a lot of tracks you need external drives. I recommend to use fast FW800 drives, but you can't connect them to a MacBook (it has no FW800 connection - the MacBook Pro has one)
Great info Marc, but certainly wouldn't suggest ever working off the internal drive in any circumstance. Why bombard your system drive with files that even after you delete can lurk in the cracks of the drive until the are overwritten. Also I find no reason to use FW800 unless your track count hits over 32 tracks. I also have been very very happy with SATA drives lately. Waaaaay cheaper than the options stated above. And once you have the SATA card and enclosures you can swap out cheap SATA hard drives and not even break a sweat. Performance to dollar ratio is very nice with SATA. Plus its what Apple chooses to run in all its models, even their servers. Here is a post that I wrote for previous Thread for someone that was using their internal drive and had bouncing issues:

yes undoubtedly the issue... basically the internal drivecan't keep up with all the tasks. The glyph drives are great but if you think you will ever push the envelope to over 32 tracks, go with SATA. I had some bouncing and playback issues as I got above 32 tracks after I upgraded to the Music Production Toolkit. Basically DAE issues where the firewire drive couldn't keep up. Since FW400 is 400Mbps FW800 is 800Mbps and SATA II is 3000Mbps. Obviously the faster drive can transfer more data. Also backing up and file transfer between 2 SATA drives is soooo much quicker. Here's the card I talked about earlier:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apiotek/EC0003D/

here are a ton of options for enclosures above and beyond the full line at MacSales:

http://www.cooldrives.com/usb20cdrwdvd.html

and Newegg.com has great prices on Seagate SATA drives. Glyph uses stock Seagate drives as far as I know, but puts Glyph on the label.

This is of course if you like to tinker and put this stuff all together. I'm a fan of that. Food for thought...
Old 04-17-2007, 03:18 AM

Hi "OddsAre"!

Yeah, you are right - the internal drive is just something for the plane, Starbucks etc. (if you just can't take along more than the laptop and the mbox). If possible I use the external disk, but I find the internal disk handy if I'm doing vocal comping: I copy the Pro Tools vocal session to the internal disk and edit the vocals at a nice cafe or in a park. If possible -of course- I would avoid a recording sessions on the internal disk. I am regulary checking the fragmentation of the system anyway and defrag it if necessary (just for a healthy system)...

I forgot to mention that I was talking about an "as mobile as possible" system that is at the same time fast as a desktop solution. 5,25" disks are way cheaper but they are big and heavy for an ultra mobile system. If you are using a lot of virtual instruments you need even 2 disks (one for the instruments, one for the Pro Tools sessions). External 3,5" disks are small but not very fast. So I went for 3,5" RAID disks. I liked the fact that they are bus powered as well and chose a configuration where every teammate has its own bus so that no one disturbs the other:

Mbox Pro = FW 400 bus

3,5" Raid for samples = FW 800 bus (offers the virtual instrument power I needed - the power that a big & fast SATA 5,25" offers)

3,5" Raid for Pro Tools sessions = ExpressCard Bus (could be a bigger and cheaper drive; just to keep the system small and light...).

But if you don't need maximum mobility your suggested storage solutions are indeed way cheaper...

Cheers

Marc