Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2000, 11:46 PM

Default ADAT Bridge Upgrade

I know everyone complains about the price of upgrades. But I have to vent a little. I bought my ADAT bridge in March. I knew it was only 20-bit. But at that time I had read the following post from October 1999

--------------
Yes, the OO1 will have 24-bit light pipe capability. We will be adding the same capability to the ADAT Bridge, from what I understand. Details have not been finalized, and as far as I know we don't have the parts available yet. We're still gearing up production for the 001.
The ADAT Bridge upgrade will almost certainly be a modification involving returning the unit for the upgrade, the same way we did the 888/24 24 bit D/A upgrade. And like that upgrade, there will probably be free upgrades for recent purchasers.
We'll make an announcement when this becomes available and we have a date and details, but yes, 24 bit capability is coming to the ADAT Bridge.

------------------
Bruce Paine
Technical eMarketing

-----------------------------------------
I realize this was not a promise and Digi was doing the right thing by being honest and they never said how soon it would be available. But in March, knowing that the Digi001 had been out for months, I thought the upgrade was surely around the corner. The press release about the upgrade confirms that free upgrades will be given to recent owners. But June 2000? It seems like in the past when there were hardware upgrades, free or special pricing was available to people who had purchased in the last year or so not just 3 months.
I would be happy if they extended free upgrades to those who bought---oh I don't know-- say since Feb 2000?

------------------
Chris Knight
Shadowbox Music Inc.
nyc
Old 09-10-2000, 08:42 PM

Default Re: ADAT Bridge Upgrade

I'm with you being also a purchaser of my newest system + ADAT bridge in March. I too, knew of the ADAT bridge upgrade then and if I would have known that it was going to cost me $300 to upgrade it in three months but not have the upgrade available for six months. They did string us along for the past few months and then picked June 1st for the cutoff.
Great product. Marginal user support.
It's got to be something that came from those countlessly boring Friday lunch meetings that the customer support team holds. Big Business means a slower wheel turning. Owning a very small business that caters directly to my clients immediate needs, it is hard for me to relate to such operation but it could only be due to this. Companies with a cool product start out really cool (as digi did pre Avid) until they get to be so big it's impossible to still convey coolness to it's customers. This coolness is that slighly caring attitude for each end user and there were a lot less of them when I started using pro tools in 1990.The corporate equation has struck again.
Thanks for hearing me rant......
hughesdigi
Old 09-10-2000, 11:20 PM

Hey Digi,

Any chance you will extend this free upgrade to anyone who bought the ADAT bridge knowing the 24-bit upgrade was coming soon. How about anyone that bought an ADAT bridge after the Digi 001 came out which was supposedly the cause of the hold up on ADAT bridge upgrades. I know it was silly to assume I would get a free upgrade, but its not an unreasonable request.

At the very least a price break? I don't want you to have to go out of business on my account. Just want to be treated fair.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2000, 10:41 AM

yeah ! what they said !

mixing coach