Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2008, 05:13 PM

Default OT...iTunes 8.01 and big iPod problems

Figured alot of you on the forum have iPods and might be able to be of
some assistance. I recently installed the newest version on iTunes(not sure if that factors into this or if it's just a coincidence). I turned on my iPod and got a prompt that it needed restored. I initially ignored it, but then it happened a few more times, so I restored it. Now when it goes to sync my library (17.5GB of mp3s,wav,etc) it gets to about 8GB before it says the 'files could not be copied to the disk' or something along those lines and then there are no files saved to my iPod. I tried running disk utility and even "rebuilt" my iPod using Diskwarrior. I haven't tried to sync it again since I ran DiskWarrior. Was hoping someone could shine some light on the situation first. Everything about my iPod as well as iTunes seems to be functioning properly, but it will not sync all my songs back. It has worked fine for years, but this is a bit perplexing. An ipod with no song files is not much fun. Also, it is a 30GB Audio Video 5th Gen. iPod. Thanks
Old 10-30-2008, 05:20 PM

Default Re: OT...iTunes 8.01 and big iPod problems

My guess would be something like a hardware problem with the hard drive. Probably some physical corruption/damage happened right around the 8GB mark on the drive sometime around the time it gave you that first "restore" message. Disk warrior won't be able to fix something like that. Do you hear any noises come from the iPod around the time the "cannot be copied" message comes up?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:10 PM

If Slim is right, you might be able to do a low level format of the drive - it could be that there are bad blocks on the disc itself at the 8 Gb mark - which should make it 'ignore' the corrupt part of the disc. Disk Warrior doesn't perform this function I don't believe, but disc utility will. It might be worth a shot... If you do this, you will of course have to reinstall the ipod software. Not sure if you'd have to install the version that was from the factory and then let it be updated or not. Hope this helps!

Best

Nathan
PT 2019 and 10.14
UA Apollo Quad
Outboard:
2 x Summit Audio 2BA-221>TLA 50>EQF-100
2 x dbx 165a
x Shadow Hills GAMA
http://humpbackmedia.net[/SIZE]
Old 10-30-2008, 08:01 PM

i had a really similar problem with my 80GB video ipod about a year ago. For me, iTunes would sync somewhere around 1000 songs and then just stop. I'd have to force quit every time and just unplug the ipod. Then I'd plug it back in and iTunes would say I needed to restore the ipod. It would sync 1000ish songs and then repeat the same thing. I called Apple Care and after some troubleshooting they said that it sounded like somehow the ipod had corrupted the driver in the os, so I had to do a reinstall of the OS. I re-installed as 'archive and install', so it was relatively painless, but still. They pointed me to a link on their support site that explained the best way to do that to make sure you keep your user settings, etc. Don't know what the link is offhand, but if you need it, just search their site and I'm sure you'll find it.
Anyway, after I did that, the ipod worked fine. Seemed weird to me, but it worked.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:21 AM

I don't hear any noise or anything. It just hangs up for a long time and then comes up with the error message. I'll try a few of your suggestions. If I were to reformat it, would I do that in the disk utility?