Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 10-19-2021, 12:34 AM

Default Atmos 7.1.4 PT and Logic

Protools:
I've been playing around with the Atmos renderer for a few weeks and the integration with PT reminds me of the 80th where we tried to sync cv gate, midi and audio

Logic 10.7
Select "spacial audio" in the menu and you get the fully integrated Atmos renderer Plugin on your Mixbus/Output insdide Logic in 7.1.4 (with Binaural downrenderer for headphones) and integrated ADM BWF export.

PT Ultimate 2400,-
Atmos Renderer 270,-
vs
Apple Logic 200,-

And the price is not even relevant to me - but shoudn't it be technically easy and simple to make music and have fun. Why can Apple cooperate with Dolby and simply intergate the plugin?

I'm not a tech guy and I haven't compared in depth but I can see the willingness to help people "to create" on one side and on the other side "Subscription" "Restriction" "Protection"
Old 10-19-2021, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Atmos 7.1.4 PT and Logic

Totally agree!

Although it was great to see Atmos working on PT early, the i/o setup, routing to Atmos renederer etc is a massive load of aggravation even now without the original channel plugins.
This integration from Logic looks to be much more user friendly, all the fiddley bits happening under the hood, although I'm not a Logic user, so haven't actually tried it.
It will be great for music in Atmos, but I wouldn't fancy mixing a film in Logic yet.
Hopefully this will inspire the developers at Avid to look at creating a more straightforward way to mix in Atmos using Pro Tools and give us 7.1.4 width channels please.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:09 PM

Hats off to logic. They have nailed it. I don't think we'll see such elegance coming to Pro Tools, let alone Pro Tools Native. It's one of the last things that separates Ultimate from regular. Would love to be surprised though. If I ever get asked for an atmos music mix, i'll be bouncing like a basketball and straight over to Logic.

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 10-20-2021, 10:00 AM

it would already be better to have an Atmos plugin inside PT instead of a stand alone renderer and a second window
Old 10-20-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
Hats off to logic. They have nailed it. I don't think we'll see such elegance coming to Pro Tools, let alone Pro Tools Native. It's one of the last things that separates Ultimate from regular. Would love to be surprised though. If I ever get asked for an atmos music mix, i'll be bouncing like a basketball and straight over to Logic.
If my clients start requesting Atmos mixes I have two choices:

1- $800/yr subscription to Pro Tools Ultimate, or;
2- $280 one time payment for Logic Pro X which seems to have tighter, friendlier integration already.

Guess which way I'm leaning.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:58 AM

It's great to see. However, early feedback from those doing Atmos mixes in Logic hasn't been all roses. I suspect that that's partially due to the fact that "mixers" tend to use PT more so than Logic, and so they're more familiar with surround mixing in general. In other words, the people unhappy with Atmos in Logic are likely unhappy with Atmos mixing in general because the process feels foreign.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:18 PM

I am pretty sure that is the next step for PT to integrate into ProTools the renderer. It's great that Apple Did this for Logic Pro though.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-20-2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
I am pretty sure that is the next step for PT to integrate into ProTools the renderer. It's great that Apple Did this for Logic Pro though.

G
Sure, that sounds likely. but how many years will it take? And at what cost to the user?
Old 10-20-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
Sure, that sounds likely. but how many years will it take? And at what cost to the user?
It's up to Dolby I think as much as Avid. I think Dolby wants to just get as many DAWs involved as quickly as they can to promote Atmos.
I think they may be working on it, but maybe I'm just hopeful.
I just try to keep positive. Anyway, I am already doing Atmos mixing in my room for clients, so no issues here at all.
BTW, I have not really had time to look a it a lot, however it does seem not as fully featured as the pro tools workflow, but maybe I'm wrong, but I am sticking with PT for my workflow. I works seamlessly for me.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-20-2021, 09:29 PM

It would be nice to have Atmos integrated into Pro Tools, but I personally would rather they jacked the price up of an Ultimate license by $500 and included the full feature set of DAMS rather than integrate the absolute bare minimum of what other DAWs seem to have done. There is a lot of power in the dedicated Atmos renderer applications.

Even with DAPS, you can save every master as a .atmos file and come back to it years later, spit out stems, spit out new fold downs, use it to audition mixes, etc. It also includes full atmos mix audio with MP4 video encoding. You can output an atmos deliverable, stick it on a USB key and plug it into any Dolby Atmos compatible playback device and listen to your work. I find that far more useful than just the ability to knock out an ADM file from the DAW (which Pro Tools can also do, by the way).

DAMS and the theatrical RMU are on just whole different levels entirely. 32 and 64 channel speaker support, speaker arrays, room calibration and EQing. It is exceptionally powerful software. Nobody is replacing a Pro Tools rig and dedicated theatrical RMU with Logic... ever.

I don't really see this as some kind of liberating experience. The way Atmos has been integrated into Logic seems quintessentially Apple in a way, designed to push their hardware. 6 channel atmos in a $3000 laptop? I think I'll stick with Pro Tools thanks. If you think an Ultimate license and DAPS is expensive... wait till you start kitting out your studio with a decent 7.1.4 speaker system.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.