Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 06:17 AM

Default Help needed - Command 8 and Pro tools

Hi guys Im fairly new to the whole digidesign stuff. I did work with it 4 years ago but its changed a lot since then.
Problem 1
Im interested in buying a Command 8 package but trying to see what else I need for it to work.
The spec says it can be in a Pro tools mode or stand alone - if you have one how effective is this?
Do i still need to buy Pro tools software?
Problem 2
If i do need software - which is compatiable - or which is best working with the command 8?
Problem 3
If I get this compatable kit which Mac computer would you suggest would work best - I understand some models dont work with the command 8 (the newer models) and Im looking for a desktop PC not a laptop as its going to be a permenant fixture in our studios.

Any help would be much appreciated as ive not had much luck in my researching today

Many thanks

Liz
Old 04-25-2006, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Help needed - Command 8 and Pro tools

Anybody who really knows what's going on, feel free to jump in!

Quote:
Hi guys Im fairly new to the whole digidesign stuff. I did work with it 4 years ago but its changed a lot since then.
Problem 1
Im interested in buying a Command 8 package but trying to see what else I need for it to work.
The spec says it can be in a Pro tools mode or stand alone - if you have one how effective is this?
Do i still need to buy Pro tools software?
Problem 2
If i do need software - which is compatiable - or which is best working with the command 8?
Problem 3
If I get this compatable kit which Mac computer would you suggest would work best - I understand some models dont work with the command 8 (the newer models) and Im looking for a desktop PC not a laptop as its going to be a permenant fixture in our studios.

Any help would be much appreciated as ive not had much luck in my researching today

Many thanks

Liz
1. Stand alone mode is MIDI functionality. It's not a stand alone mixer. You'll need an Mbox or 002 Rack.

2. I'm on 6.9 version of PT. Works fine. You'll need Pro Tools. I haven't tried it with anything else.

3. I'm in Windoze XP. However, I've heard from reliable sources that the Mac Mini really rocks.
Addiction: Music (bass)
Old 04-28-2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:

You need at least v6.4.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:44 PM

I tried a C8 last night. Got the USB light, but PT HD 6.93 didn't see the C8. Does it also need MIDI I/O via a Sync or other device to work? The driver is definitely in the surfaces folder from my original install. What am I doing wrong?

"Do not fear mistakes. There are none."

Miles Davis
Old 05-01-2006, 06:59 AM

duh. dunno why it didn't work last night. must be op err. sure wish it had talkback capability. now I'd use this and the Big Knob for TB.

"Do not fear mistakes. There are none."

Miles Davis
Old 06-06-2006, 07:44 AM

Thanks for that guys, in the end we plunged for the HD002 and the control 24 with a mac computer. Its being delivered next week and I cant wait!