Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2022, 10:37 PM

Default Slow loadin pro tools and plug-ins

I bought the exact HPz820 computer that I was told to buy now these people are sayin no loner supported after a certain recent pro tools update.

This is nothin but slow pro tools loading times and I trashed the prefs and even slower now.

Avid has promised to do my support call and they have not met their end of this promise and I still have no call. I'm still on the parade I bought one of the last upgrades available before perpetual took effect. Are they so butt-hurt about the fact that I snagged one that they will not do the support call and won't do a call because I'm not on their morning subscription nonsense and never will be?

Anyone here know how to speed this up because this is worse than my last computer and yet the specs say it's supposed to be much better and I have tons more memory too. This is nothing but shenanigans.

Sent from my BBE100-2 using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2022, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Slow loadin pro tools and plug-ins

Looks like the HPz820 came out in 2012? Or is there a recent version?

After PT opens, does it work?

Pro Tools is inherently a slow loading DAW. It's a deep & powerful program.
It opens slow for me also but still reasonable on my 2016 Dell desktop and older laptop.

Yet I remind myself: How long does it take to set up a recording studio console, multi-track recorder and a room full of instruments & outboard gear?

I imagine it opens about as slow for you as it does on my 10 year old used laptop. But it opens and runs fine once it does.

Out of curiosity, How many seconds does it take to open?
Once PT finally opens your pretty much ready to go unless something closes shop on you.

While Pro Tools is loading (however long it takes) get everything else in place, warm up on your instrument or use the restroom & refill your water bottle.
It's darn better than Windows Updates!

At this point the best advice I can give is the same advice I give myself:

Accept what you have and make the best of what you've invested in.
Don't let tech specs or the lack of support get in the way of making music or figuring things out on your own.
Use any limitations to discover new & methodical techniques to achieve musical ends like our predecessors have.
They didn't have Pro Tools!

You might hate me for saying this and I'm not trying to minimize your initial concern.
That said, I hope slow opening times are the only issue and that things work fine once your session is open.

Warmly,

Mike

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 10-13-2022 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:05 AM

It's only started doing this. It hasn't been this way till now it was reasonable.

It's taking about 5 minutes.

Old 10-13-2022, 01:42 AM

Can you start with the basics. What exact version of Pro Tools, what exact version of Windows? Where is your Sandra report? Your profile talks about a Dell system.

Antivirus software is a suspect any time Pro Tools is slow to start. Fully disable or remove any AV software. Including any Microsoft crapware.

Pro Tools will be slow to load plugins during startup any time it needs to rebuild its plugin cache, (like after you trash prefs). If that fails to rebuild it may be slow on every startup. Are there error messages during plugin loading? If you trash prefs is it noticeably slower or about the same to load plugins? time just the plugin load part with a stopwatch and see.

Pro Tools startup time is also affected by the C: drive performance, which on any current computer ought to be a SATA SSD or even better a PCIe/NVMe SSD. If you have a HDD there that is an immediate thing to want to improve, regardless of if it’s causing specific issues here.

Other than that performance should just not change by itself, what else changed?

Much of what you are saying is impossible for others to follow. Who exactly recommended a specific Z series computer to you? How much did they know about your workload/workflow? What exactly is the config? Including drives? Post a SiSoft Sandra report here. When was this recommended? What exact Pro Tools upgrade made this "no longer supported"? Why?And who exactly is telling you this?

There is no reality where your Z series computer is “not supported” after some upgrade unless it’s for reasons like too little memory etc. Sounds like you might be misunderstanding how Avid’s (not greatly run) qualified systems stuff works in practice or more how it should be used by customers. And the loading there of many HP Z series systems is a reflection of HP marketing folks being willing to do lots of approval testing, which is reassuring if you want that, but it is a distortion, and far from actually meaning these are the only or the best systems to use. As one example many of these have historically lacked fast SSD drives that can greatly help with performance and stability. So lots to consider beyond just some model is on a qualified systems list.

Is your system fully optimized? Start at “Help us help you” up the top of every DUC web page.

What exactly is taking 5 minutes? To start up without a session? Or with a session? Please be clear and precise.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-13-2022 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:05 PM

Sandra report won't work. But the system is only takin about a minute now so it's fine.

Only issue now is I can't bounce to disk. It bounces half of it then the second half of the wav does not have audio!

I've never seen anything like this before

Old 10-14-2022, 04:07 PM

If you cannot provide Sandra report, nobody can help you.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:14 PM

OK, so almost no clear info about anything, so you don't want help and are doing what here?

Sandra report not running can be a sign of a computer with problems.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RackAddict View Post
It's only started doing this. It hasn't been this way till now it was reasonable.

It's taking about 5 minutes.

OK a 5 minute wait makes everything I said irrelevant.
You were seeking help and I apologize for not really providing any.
Hope you're able to get things going.
With the Sandra report the guys can help you more. They are really knowledgeable.
So you're getting some of the best response you can get.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory
Old 10-14-2022, 04:39 PM

As stated previously, the fact that you say a Sandra report won't work, indicates there is something not right about your computer/OS/etc. That is probably negatively affecting Protools.

Let start at the basics.
What processor?
How much RAM? How may sticks? Are they matching?
What hard drives or SSD are on the system? How are they configured?
What version of Windows are you running? What updates applied?
What other programs do you have installed on this computer? Office, Adobe, etc.
What is attached to the computer? printer, scanner, audio interface, GPU, etc.
Are you running any anti-virus software, adware blockers, popup blockers, etc?
Have you tried to move all plugins into the unused folder and restart Protools?
Have you tried a fresh install of Windows and Protools? (after reformatting drive)
Are you using an Ilok dongle or cloud authentication?

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1