Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2014, 03:26 PM

Default Zero DownTime Coverage for eLicenser?

Hi all,

I love the ZDT coverage for iLok. Do you know if there is something similar for eLicenser? I couldn't find too much info on their website, which is pretty bare bones: http://www.elicenser.net/en/ Thanks!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Zero DownTime Coverage for eLicenser?

Not that I know of.
Are there any programs using eLicenser other than the Steinberg software? Everything from Steinberg is stored in your account, so even if you loose the USB licenser, you would just have to re-enter the license keys to restore your purchases.

System Details
Old 06-09-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Not that I know of.
Are there any programs using eLicenser other than the Steinberg software? Everything from Steinberg is stored in your account, so even if you loose the USB licenser, you would just have to re-enter the license keys to restore your purchases.
There are several that use the eLicenser in various forms: Vienna products (hardware key), Arturia (hardware or software key), Reason (hardware or software key as well as authorizing to computer in Reason 7). Those are three I know of off the bat; there might be others.

QAPLA!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:56 AM

I think some of the SFX search apps use eLicencer
But if they don't mention a ZDT like option on the website they probably don't offer it

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-10-2014, 07:25 AM

It's a worry, that's for sure. I like the ZDT cover, it gives me some peace of mind, considering how many $ are tied up in one small object that travels almost everywhere with me.

But for my eLicenser, I have that slightly on edge feeling every time I take it somewhere ... will something happen, will it work, will it get lost/stolen, will it get damaged in transit etc etc.

The downtime that would happen while trying to get it sorted is scary. I have Cubase and Wavelab, plus the Arturia collection, and Vienna all relying on that flimsy eLicenser!
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 06-10-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
It's a worry, that's for sure. I like the ZDT cover, it gives me some peace of mind, considering how many $ are tied up in one small object that travels almost everywhere with me.

But for my eLicenser, I have that slightly on edge feeling every time I take it somewhere ... will something happen, will it work, will it get lost/stolen, will it get damaged in transit etc etc.

The downtime that would happen while trying to get it sorted is scary. I have Cubase and Wavelab, plus the Arturia collection, and Vienna all relying on that flimsy eLicenser!
At least you can split the Arturia stuff onto your computer for authorization - did that here. I think Vienna might be the only one that won't work with the software version and mandates the hardware key.

QAPLA!
Old 06-10-2014, 12:26 PM

Unfortunately, having the licence stored on the computer seems a worse option to me.

I interchangably use 3 computers ... Mac Pro at home, iMac at the studio, and MacBook Pro when not at home or studio.

The one thing the iLok and eLicenser concept has going for it is that I can have everything I need installed on all three computers and just attach those dongles to the one I need to fire up at any particular moment in time.

I've not looked into it closely, but presumably I'd have to uninstall it from one computer before installing it to another, and presumably an internet connection would be required to facilitate that.

That's more of a pain that fretting over the durability of the eLicenser!
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)