Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2003, 10:12 AM

Default Analog bus style compression

Hi !

Sorry to ask what one could think as a stupid question, but as I never used an analog board with those relevant features (buss comp), could somebody enlight me on the topic "Tech Talk' (Digizine) : " Applying Analog Style Mix Bus Compression in Pro Tools " ?
Perdon a poor - an young - ignorant [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2003, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Analog bus style compression

Download Analog channel from McDSP and put it on your master fader. Pull up the presets - I think theres a couple caled 'console'. They mimick the SSL / neve onboard master bus compressors. Or buss the ouputs of all your acoustic drums and put AC on an Aux input / return.

That ain't an explanation - but it will give you the effect of it.

Like trying to explain what it fells like to taste chocolate to someone who's never tried it!

Ainslie
Old 02-25-2003, 11:14 AM

Actually, the point of that article was that in an analog console you can mix a compressed signal with a non-compressed signal but in Pro Tools it's not so simple because of signal processing latency (you get severe phase interference). The article shows you how to work around the problem.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:03 PM

With an analog console you can combine the original signal with all its delicious transients and a really compressed version of it, with virtually no time delay and no comb filtering. It's a great sound. You get all the punch of the original sound, but with the gristle and heft of the compressed version and you can blend them to taste. It really works for some sounds. It's a bit of a hastle in Pro Tools, but it can be done.

Steve
Old 02-26-2003, 12:22 AM

Hi AE,

But what is the aesthetic purpose of this ?
What do you get that you can't have when inserting a comp in a channel or on the master ?
Is it a common use on analog consoles ?
Old 02-26-2003, 10:42 AM

Really not much hassle at all. Just bus your tracks to two aux inputs. Insert your compressor (plugin or hardware insert) on one of them and time adjuster on the other to compensate for the latency of the compressor or hardware insert.
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O
Old 02-26-2003, 03:19 PM

Just setup 2 busses with the same input, both busses containing the same plug in, bypass one, tadaa.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2003, 03:19 AM

Or use Audiosuite to generate a compressed version of the original file. Line the two files up on separate tracks and blend to taste.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:29 AM

All of these workarounds when the program should just correct the latency on its own. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Oh,when Digi..when? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 12:16 AM

I agree that compensation for latency of inserted plugs would be a big plus, but really adding a time adjuster (or, I guess, a bypassed plug) to a bus hardly seems like a big deal, and I think double bussing in the PT mixer is simpler and more flexible than in most other mixers i've used!
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O