Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-17-2003, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Bounce Handler Cannot Keep Up?????

this is because you have too many plugins going at once. i suggest bussing tracks together so you can add the effect to more than one track at a time. good luck with your bounce handler. oh you can also upgrade your ram.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:50 AM

I honestly do not think that it is too many plug-ins. I have been testing things with this, and I usually BUS all my tracks to an AUX track and it does it still. I hade a session with about 13 tracks and it did it. I have sessions with 26 tracks and it does it. It is something for sure that is either not agreeing with the system or a bug. I have a gig of DDR400 ram on my box, SATA 150 drive for my audio, and a separate OS drive. Machine could run the space shuttle, but still cannot bounce on some sessions. I had 9 sessions that I finished for a client this weekend. All but 1 could not bounce successfully. I finally JACKED up the buffer and ram usage and it worked for it. I still had to SHUT DOWN all services to get the others to work.

Tele, What would be great is if Digi could figure out a way to let you use Reason on another system and stream the audio via Network to have it play back. That way you could have your studio networked, have the monitor specified for Reason, control it from Pro Tools and have ZERO task on your pro tools box except the throughput which would not be much. That would be cool!

More money, but cool! even better is to get that system developed that will allow Plugins to run off another machine and be piped into Pro Tools.

Dreams... ahh the dreams!
-Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 11-17-2003, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I asked about Waves because on another thread, one guy mentioned he'd seen a correlation with Waves, and Rail said all his (successful) testing was with ONLY Digirack plugins.

So, we're no closer. But I'd bet the SW developers up at Digidesign know exactly what's going on, if they've investigated this at all. It may not be happening for everybody, but I'm pretty sure it didn't happen at all with 5.3.x. I suspect something related to the thread/process priority changes that occurred to support ReWire. Notice that Task Manager doesn't report PTLE at 98% all the time anymore? I think that was to allow other processes, such as Reason, to be happy running alongside PTLE. My hunch (and this kind of thing is my business) is that we're seeing a side-effect. Managing concurrent time-critical tasks is a bit of a juggling act.

I think your could be right there... I hope digidesign takes all the problems on this forum related to Bounce problems seriously!

By the way: I also get the pop up 'reduce the H/W buffer size' sometimes during a bounce. SO I change it from 1024 to 512. But when I do so, I get the pop up 'increase the H/W buffer size'. So whatever I do seems to be wrong!

Anyone else familiar with this problem?
Old 11-17-2003, 11:08 AM

Doc,

I think this is what you're looking for:

http://www.fxteleport.com/

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-17-2003, 11:10 AM

qYs: others have seen that problem.

IntelDoc: Yes, it might be nice to have high-speed network support for ReWire, but it doesn't address this problem directly. Remember, I'm just speculating on this being a side-effect of adding ReWire support, and the BTD problem is happening on mixes that aren't even using ReWire. If I'm right about this, they need to fine-tune the coordination of the various threads.

It just occurred to me, if somebody is having easily reproduced BTD errors, it would be interesting to try using a ramdisk as the destination for the bounce file. On a system with 1 gig of ram, there would be PLENTY of memory to create a ramdisk of up to about 512M. This could be a practical workaround (if it works.)

Old 11-17-2003, 03:22 PM

Hopefully they will get it worked out soon. I just upgraded to 6.1 and was bouncing background vocals on a small session (18 Tracks)so we could get anothe pass of them for a bigger layer. The machine could not BTD or even bounce to an open stereo track cpu and bounce handler problems.I never had problems in 5.3 other than the DVERB bug that some other folks have also. I have Carillon box with a P4 2.5 and a gig o ram that had gas to spare most of the time before the upgrade. I hate having to slow down for work arounds. Fatdaddy
Old 11-17-2003, 04:37 PM

waves will give you problems bouncing to disk.. c1, spatial imager, transform soundshifter etc.
I haven't had any problems with the bounce to disk error with the digirack plugs.. the psa1 from BF will give you a problem but this case is only when you have more than 5. Dverb is another problem sometimes i have bouncing to disk..