Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2009, 11:09 AM

Default MIDI Controller Setup

Hello Everyone: Hope this is simple...I currently have a PowerMac G5 w/Digi 003R and I would like to take an old Kawai PH50 and use it as a MIDI Contoller so I can control/operate BOOM etc. Can you walk me through the setup?

Currently: I connected the MIDI Out of my keyboard into the MIDI IN on my 003R. The system will record MIDI from playing the keyboard, but I can't hear it play back. I checked the Output assign but it does not give me the option of Analog 1-2. Also, I don't know how to get the keyboard to control BOOM etc.

Did I lose you?

Brian in Charlotte
TheVoiceofBrian.com

PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0, 3Gigs RAM, ProTools 8.1, Digi003R BLA Mod., OSX Leopard
Old 10-17-2009, 11:42 AM

Default Re: MIDI Controller Setup

I assume you have the Keyboard setup in the AudioMIDI Setup application, even though you didn't mention this step. If not, you should complete this step.

First, a MIDI track just records MIDI data, which has no association with sound/audio. It is merely data that, simply put, represents when a specific key was pressed, how hard, and how long it was held (among other things). Then you have to send that MIDI data to a virtual instrument (like Boom or Xpand2) or an external MIDI device that is capable of converting that note information into a Piano or Guitar playing that note. That is a very "nutshell" type of description, but hopefully it helps.

Create a stereo Instrument track; insert Boom or another VI; show the "instrument" section in the Mix window; set the MIDI input to All (or your keyboard); make sure the MIDI output reads "Boom" or what ever VI you loaded; then you should be able to record and playback MIDI.

I might advise you to start with Xpand2, and load a patch, like Piano, first to get things setup right. That way you are loading a patch where all keys and octaves of your keyboard will trigger a sound. I haven't really used Boom much (maybe just once when I first got v8 to see what it was about), but it is possible that not all the keys/octaves will trigger a sound (as there are far fewer sounds to trigger in a VI like Boom).

I hope I didn't lose you.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 10-17-2009, 12:04 PM

cneal92...EXCELLENT advice and IT WORKS WONDERFULLY. I'm thrilled. This is like putting a kid in a candy store now! I am so appreciative!! Yes, boy, Xpand2 is way easier than BOOM and I've already started working with it.

I'm a professional voice actor, but have been doing audio production for as long as I have been doing voiceover...over 20 years. So, I really wanted some more creative control and options...Once I upgraded to PT8 and saw the possibilities, I was hooked. This is SO great.

Quick question. How can I then turn my MIDI information into a waveform, such as I'm used to with voiceover etc.???
Old 10-17-2009, 12:28 PM

OK, cneal92, I figured the last question out...I simply bounced the file into the format of my choice....good grief, what a blast this is.

Many thanx again for your time.

Brian in Charlotte
TheVoiceofBrian.com
Old 10-18-2009, 01:50 PM

Brian - check the blog it has over 100 tutorial videos all free, they should help.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:45 PM

Brian:
Glad you got it figured out. Bouncing is one solution. You can also set the audio output of the Instrument track to a bus (like bus 1-2), create a stereo (or mono) audio track, set the input of the audio track to the same bus (bus 1-2), record enable and record.

If you are not familiar with the input monitoring setting ( "Auto-Input" or "Input Only" ) you might want to read up on it in the Ref. manual. Or as RussUK suggests there are tutorials out there. I wrote a blog on the subject (no video ) at:

http://ptuser.blogspot.com/2009/02/a...onitoring.html

Happy VI'ing!
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 10-20-2009, 02:15 PM

This has been so helpful, thanks again. I'm checking out the blog too!!