Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 08-14-2022, 07:45 AM

Default Pro Tools First to Pro Tools Artist

I've been using Pro Tools First for a couple of years, and have quite a few projects saved there. I'd like to upgrade to Pro Tools Artist, and to be able to access, use, and save my First projects in Artist. Has anyone had any success doing this? Cheers, Rob
Old 08-14-2022, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools First to Pro Tools Artist

exporting-a-session-from-pro-tools-first-to-pro-tools

This is all I can find, but it's a specific answer.

It's a little convoluted, but I think you could just follow the steps.

I think it's tricky to do it any official way. Word on the forum is.... PT First was a bad idea, hence why they aren't supporting it anymore.

Not being able to upgrade to Artist or Studio and bring your sessions easily isn't a win for users or Avid.

However, maybe it's worthwhile for you to open an Avid Support Case and ask them about how they can help you upgrade without losing your sessions, to ask for their official answer/method.

That URL above is a bit outdated, so I'm not sure it's the best plan, but it might work.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 08-14-2022, 01:59 PM

Many thanks, that looks like a helpful link. I see what you mean about it being convoluted though.
I've taken your advice and have opened a support case - I'll see what they say before I try anything else. I'll post the response from Avid Support once I get it.
Yes, PT First sounds like it was a crazy product. I've never known anything like it. It's not great to know that all my projects are likely to be trapped in a piece of discontinued software that I can't upgrade. Even if they just offered AAF export in the last version of PT Free would have been helpful.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:43 AM

This was the response from Avid Support on this matter:
"Projects created in Pro Tools First version should open in Pro Tools Artist. Basically, one you purchased a Pro Tools Artist license, you just have to activate it in the iLok Cloud or in an iLok key then uninstall Pro Tools First in your computer and install the Pro Tools Artist version. Open your saved Pro Tools First projects and it should open in Pro Tools Artist software version and work in it."
Well, that sounds easy enough, although I will backup my Pro Tools projects and workspace file just to be on the safe side, in case I need to revert.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:02 AM

Oh, well, that went as well as could be expected. I got the 30 day trial version of Pro Tools (it actually gives you Pro Tools Ultimate if you get the trial version), installed it, and when I opened it, it had all my Pro Tools First projects in it. I've checked the first few and they seem to be fine. All looks good. I didn't uninstall Pro Tools First though, but I guess that I can do that now.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:25 PM

A quick question: Did you have any issue with installing Pro Tools with Pro Tools First still installed? I am getting ready to Install Pro Tools Artist and I don't want to lose the songs I've recorded by uninstalling PT First beforehand, but that's what it sounds like they told you to do.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:44 PM

While I have not used the version of Pro Tools you mention I did change from Artist to Studio version with no issues. It simply unlocked the Studio extras
Pro Tools Studio 2022.12
Old 02-05-2023, 04:12 AM

Hi Bill O, no, installing PT Artist with PT First still installed didn't cause me any problems. I just installed it, and it was fine - all the projects that I had created in First opened fine in Artist. I then used Artist to save all my project as sessions so that I had copies of everything just in case. After this, I just uninstalled PT First, and again it was all fine - all my projects were still there and opened fine in PT Artist. To be honest, I was pretty worried about losing my PT project files and a few years' of work, but the upgrade worked perfectly, and Artist is, I think, a better entry level product than First - not least because you can save projects as sessions. In case it's relevant, I'm using a old Mac (Late 2013) running MacOS 10.14. Cheers, Rob
Old 02-06-2023, 05:46 AM

Rob, Thanks for the reply. I'm using an HP laptop with Windows 11, but I'm thinking that won't matter. I, like you, have several years worth of recordings that I don't want to lose.
Regards, Bill O.